The Affordable Care Act
We know you have questions about the new health care options coming out under the Affordable Care Act. That's why DC Public Library has partnered with DC Health Link to connect you with the tools and resources you need to make well-informed health care choices during this open enrollment season.
New: DC Health Link Enrollment Center - Opens Nov. 4
The DC Health Link Enrollment Center opens Monday, Nov. 4 at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library in room 221. This drop-in enrollment center is designed to provide consumers and small business owners with information about the Affordable Care Act, the new health insurance marketplace - DC Health Link - and the enrollment process. DC Health Link Assisters will be on site to answer questions.
The enrollment center is typically open on the following days/times, except for holiday closures.
|Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday||10:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.|
|Thursday, Friday||10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.|
|Saturday||10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
The Enrollment Center will be closed on the following dates for monthly Assister training sessions:
Thursday, Dec. 12, 2013
Thursday, Jan. 9, 2014
Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014
Thursday, March 13, 2014
Open Enrollment Programs
Throughout the open enrollment period, DC Health Link and the library will host enrollment days with trained In-Person Assisters and Brokers at branch libraries throughout the district. Check the library's programs calendar for upcoming workshops and assistance, including the Citywide Information Day and Enrollment Fair on Nov. 23.
At DC Public Library you can:
- Get assistance finding relevant, reliable information on insurance and health topics
- Use technology (computers, Internet, printing) to find information and complete applications on your own
- Get assistance creating an email account – a requirement to complete the enrollment process
- Attend health information workshops and sign up for one-on-one assistance when available
- Find enrolling agencies in your community who can help you sign up for a plan
How do I Enroll?
An on-line marketplace, sometimes called a health care exchange, is a website that allows you to fill out an application and see the insurance coverage options available to you from private insurance companies and compare side-by-side. Marketplaces are run by the state or federal government to ensure the plans offered by private companies meet the requirements of the law.
- The District of Columbia's marketplace is called DC Health Link
- The Marketplace website at healthcare.gov is the primary tool for information about state/federally run marketplaces
Important Enrollment Dates
October 1, 2013 - Open enrollment begins, and you may begin using DC Health Link to enroll for insurance coverage
March 31, 2014 - The last day of open enrollment. After that you have to wait until October 15 - December 7, 2014
Preparing for Enrollment
Healthcare.gov offers an overview of how to prepare to enroll, from understanding the options to setting your budget. A variety of information will be required to complete the enrollment process.
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
- Birth dates of family members
- Pay stubs, W-2 forms, or "Wage and Tax Statements"
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any health insurance the family could qualify for from an employer
In-Person Assisters (IPAs)/Navigators are specially trained to guide people through the enrollment process and answer questions about the healthcare options. They can provide in-person enrollment assistance to individuals, families, small businesses, and their employees.
Beginning in November, there with be In-Person Assisters on-site at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library every day, and at libraries throughout the district on select enrollment days. All healthcare events are included in the library’s programs calendar. Check back often for new programs.
DC Health Link provides a searchable list of brokers and assisters to help you find the right health care solution for your family.
Find Health Information Online
DC Public Library provides free access to health information from scholarly and scientific journals through our electronic databases.