The Labs at DC Public Library are currently closed, pending a move to an interim location. Please check The Road to MLK Future for updates on the Martin Luther King Jr. Library modernization and interim services.
The Fab Lab is a Do-It-Yourself space allowing customers to learn, make and collaborate. Equipment includes:
- Laser Cutter
- 3-D Printers
- Soldering Tools
- Computer Numerical Controlled (CNC) machines
Monday-Thursday: 12-8 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday and Sunday: Closed
Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library
2nd Floor, NE Stairwell
901 G St. NW, Washington, DC 20001
The technology in the Digital Commons, Fab Lab and Studio Lab are made possible in part by the Institute or Museum and Library Services.
Membership Process | Age Policy | Release Form | Safety Guidelines
Sign up for Classes and Orientations
1. Sign a release form. If under 18, parental consent is required.
2. Attend 30-minute orientation. The orientation gives an overview of the space, equipment, and safety guidelines. Upcoming orientations can be found in the library's online calendar or the schedule at the bottom of this page. To use specific equipment without supervision, you must take an individual equipment orientation. Equipment includes:
- Universal Laser Cutter
- DIWire Bender
- 3-D Printers
- Sewing Machine (Coming soon!)
Children ages 6-12 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times. Children under the age of 6 are prohibited from entering the space.
Parental consent is required for ages 18 and younger.
You can download and sign your Release Form before coming to orientation.
- Do not use any machine until you have signed the Release Form and/or have taken the orientation class.
- You must abide by the DC Public Library’s Rules of Behavior.
- Never work while while you are impaired, stressed, tired or otherwise unable to work carefully.
- Always wear safety glasses around equipment, even if you are not using the equipment.
- Always wear close-toed shoes. Sandals, clogs, and high heels should not be worn.
- Always tie back long hair, including long beards, such that it is not able to hang in front of neck/face.
- Always dress appropriately. Never wear loose-fitting clothing, headphones, jewelry, or anything else that could get caught in machinery.
- Portable music players with headphones are prohibited in the lab.
- Never place hands in the area of any cutting tool or machine.
- Never leave machine while it is running, unless allowed by staff.
- Ensure all guards and shields are in place prior to operating machines.
- Never interrupt or distract an individual using machinery.
- Always check material for metal, such as screws or nails, before using on machinery.
- Alert staff to malfunctioning machinery.
- Always keep work area clean.
- Report all injuries to staff immediately.
Back to the Labs at DC Public Library.