Doggie Diaries: Adventures at the Library
|From Ella's Diary: Tuesday, September 13, 2011|
39 lbs. – A lady does not usually like to share her weight… and I am no exception. Curious children, however, want to know everything! And I have a soft spot, or extra fluffiness, shall we say, for children! I learned that Petit Pablo weighs 25 lbs. and Healthy Happy weighs 36 lbs. So, according to my calculations, that means I was Top Dog tonight!
I was still thinking about my friend Alyce Dixon when I got to the library. She just turned 104! Isn’t that amazing? I met her through my volunteer work with PAL and was invited to join her fabulous birthday celebration. Oh, I do love a good fiesta!
Though I love a good book even more! Tonight I heard the energetic and beautifully illustrated Please, Puppy, Please by Spike Lee and Kadir Nelson. I got comfy, closed my eyes, and let the music of the story carry me away.
Speaking of music… Miss Julie and the kids made really cool song books with singing dogs. Miss Julie got the idea from Kirigami Greeting Cards: The Art of Paper Cutting and Folding by Karol Krcmar. Here is what you need and what you do to make your own Singing Doggie Craft.
- Lyrics to “(How Much Is That) Doggy in the Window” by Patti Page
- 1 sheet of construction paper
- 1 sheet of white paper (with a doggie face drawn on it)
- 1 scrap of red paper (optional)
- Glue stick
- Fold the sheet of construction paper 2/3 of the way (horizontally).
- Glue the lyrics to the left 1/3 of the paper (the portion that is not folded).
- Put that aside, and cut out the doggie face.
- Color the doggie's ears and nose, and give any additional details.
- Cut out the doggie's eyes and three slits in mouth area.
- Fold down doggie's ears to look floppy, and fold doggie's mouth so that it protrudes.
- Glue doggie face on the fold on the construction paper.
- Cut out, and add a tongue (optional).
- Use the songbook to sing the "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window" song, and pop open the doggie flap for the “arf, arf” part.
- Enjoy your doggie songbook, or give it to someone to enjoy.
Au revoir mes amis!
Read Ella’s September 22, 2010 Diary
Read Ella’s November 10, 2010 Diary
Read Ella’s December 8, 2010 Diary
Read Ella’s March 8, 2011 Diary
Read Ella’s April 26, 2011 Diary
Read Ella’s June 14, 2011 Diary
Read Ella's July 19, 2011 Diary