Special Collections defines "virtual reference" as any request for information not made in person or readily answered over the phone. For tracking purposes, it is our policy that all virtual reference requests must be submitted in writing.
Virtual Reference services are suspended until May 8, 2017.
Use one of the following options to submit a written request:
- Preferred: e-mail Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the "contact us" form located at the bottom of this web page. Submit your query as a "general request."
- If you are unable to use any of the methods above, call us during operating hours at 202-727-1213 (Washingtoniana) or 202-727-0233 (Georgetown Library Peabody Room). We will submit the question on your behalf.
When submitting a request:
- Please provide as much detailed information about your query as possible (names, dates, locations, alternate spellings, etc.)
- Include your e-mail address and telephone number, in case we need to ask follow-up questions about your request.
- E-mail is our preferred method of response. Where possible, relevant documentation less than 3 pages in length will be scanned and attached.
Back to Special Collections Homepage