Community Design Meeting Summary & Compilation of Public Comments
Location: Anacostia Interim Library, 1800 Good Hope Rd. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20020
Meeting Purpose: Final public meeting to provide the community with an opportunity to review and comment on the proposed schematic design and scaled model of the new Anacostia Neighborhood Library. The design team gave a brief overview and, following this, DC Public Library staff were available to discuss the project and answer questions. The comments in this summary were made by the participants in a facilitated discussion.
Meeting Format: Presentation and interactive workshop format:
- The overview by the design team focused on project implementation and a how the design has evolved since the first community meeting.
- A facilitated discussion allowed participants to provide comments and ask questions of District library staff and the project team.
- Participants were encouraged to submit suggestions on the new library book collection.
Attendees: Twenty-seven community members added their names to the sign-in sheets. Ginnie Cooper, Archie Williams, Jeff Bonvechio, Kim Fuller, Barbara Norland, Elissa Miller and the Anacostia Interim Library staff represented the DC Public Library. Guitele Nicoleau represented the DC Library Board of Trustees. Phil Freelon, Richard Kuhn and Zena Howard represented the Freelon Group. The following members of the CirclePoint consulting team attended the meeting: W. Steve Lee and Tosin Durotoye.
Summary of Community Meeting Comments
- Please explain LEED certification.
- Would like to see the new library design modern architecture instead of something more traditional that fits the existing community.
- Security needs to be a high priority.
- Avoid designing nooks and crannies where potential criminals can hide.
- Exterior glass wall should be blast or bullet proof.
- Consider adding solar panels to the roof.
- Please provide a process for the community to apply for jobs at the new library.
- Please highlight parking on design plans.
- Like the way the park-like setting was preserved around the building.
- Please clarify the awning materials.
- The building was awarded a merit award for pre-design (AIA).
- The ANC should be consulted about the proposed design and the beacon elements.
- The building should be designed with flexibility to allow for future growth.