Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Library Opened Aug. 2, 2010
The new Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Library opened Monday, August 2, 2010.
Mayor Adrian Fenty, Council Chair Vincent Gray, Ward 2 Councilman Jack Evans, Councilman Harry Thomas, chair of committee on libraries, parks and recreation and Councilman Jim Graham joined Chief Librarian Ginnie Cooper and residents of the Shaw community for a ribbon cutting celebration. Check out pictures.
The new three-level library is approximately 22,000 square feet and features a flexible design to provide inviting spaces for all.
- Separate reading areas for adults, teens and children
- Children’s program room
- 40,000 books, DVDs, CDs and other library materials; designed for 80,000 items
- 32 public access computers with free Wi-Fi Internet access
- 8 Mac computers in the teen space
- Comfortable seating for 200 customers
- Large program room for up to 100 people
- Two 12-person conference rooms
- Vending area
The new library was designed by the architecture firm of Davis Brody Bond Aedas.
As part of the design process, the library hosted a series of Community Design Meetings to seek input from residents. The community also participated in the selection of the architectural team.