Beyond the Book
Are you a writer, artist, musician or videographer between the ages of 13 and 19? Have you read something amazing this summer and want to share it?
Between June 1 and Aug. 31, submit a work of writing, photography, illustration or music promoting something that you have read or demonstrating the impact it had on you. We’re looking for pieces that are not only well-crafted but show a passion for reading.
Four winners will be selected in the categories of Writing, Illustration, Music and Photography. Entries will be judged on artistic skill and creativity by ARTLAB+ and on reading promotion by the DC Public Library.
What Can I Win?Each winner will receive a Chromebook laptop, a free photoshoot and two hours at the soundbooth in Hirshhorn's ARTLAB+. They will also have their work published on the library's website and social media.
When Will Winners Be Notified?All who submit to the contest are invited to a showcase event at Shaw (Watha T. Daniel) Library on Saturday, Sept. 22 to show off their work and meet other teens who create. Winners will be announced at the event. (If your work is selected and you are unable to attend the showcase, you will be notified and arrangements will be made for you to receive your prizes.)
How Can I Submit and Entry?Fill out this form. You will need to log in with a Google account to access the form. (If you don’t already have a Google account, you can create one.
What Are the Rules?
- This contest is open to participants between the ages of 13 and 19.
- Only one entry in each category per participant. Let us see your best work.
- Writing can be up to 2,500 words long and be in the format of a book review, poem, nonfiction piece or short story.
- Photography entries must include 5 - 10 photos that make up a photo story.
- Music should be submitted as an .mp3 and be 1 - 3 minutes in length.