Capitol View Library Interior Renovation
The library closed on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 5:30 p.m., re-opening in late fall 2017.
The nearest library is Benning/Dorothy I. Height Library, at 3935 Benning Road NE. Also nearby is the Deanwood Library, at 1350 49th St. NE. Customers can pick up holds at any DC Public Library location.
The renovation will include:
- Improved entrance into the building
- Expanded space, including more space for children, adults and teens
- Upgrades to the heating, air conditioning and electrical systems
- New computer training lab
- New windows
- More meeting and study spaces in varying sizes
- New, larger elevator
- New furniture, carpet and fixtures
- Environmentally friendly design
Interim Library Services
During construction, the Library is transferring two staff members from Capitol View to the Benning/Dorothy I. Height Library to assist with increased demand at that location. Staff will continue to visit schools and daycares on a regular basis to provide library service. In addition, we are looking for additional opportunities to provide service to customers who are inconvenienced by the closure of Capitol View Library. We will keep the community informed if any locations are secured. If you have suggestions for locations that might be willing to host a story time, book group or another library program, please contact Martha Saccocio at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 727-1188.
Community EngagementCommunity feedback is an important part of the design process. The Library conducted a community survey and hosted 3 community meetings to gather input. 100 people responded to the survey. 63% of those who responded to the survey preferred that children's services be located on the 2nd floor. Read comments from the survey here.
View comments from the community meetings.
- Community meeting, June 16, 2016. The design team presented two proposed options at a community meeting and gathered feedback. View the presentation here. Read comments from the community.
- Community meeting, Aug. 18, 2016. The design team presented updated floor plans and gathered feedback. Read the community comments here.
Questions or concerns? Contact Martha.Saccocio@dc.gov.