Capitol View Library Renovation
The Capitol View Library, at 5001 Central Ave. SE, is undergoing phase two of the exterior renovation.
The library closed Sept. 22, 2019 for approximately four months of construction. During this time, library services are being provided at an interim location on the grounds of J.C. Nalle Elementary School, 220 49th St. SE.
Public Art Competition
The DC Public Library and the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities (CAH) are seeking professional proposals from local artists or artist teams for the design, fabrication and installation of a permanent work of public art on the plaza area in front of the Capitol View Library. Learn more here. Submission deadline is Feb. 1, 2019, 4 p.m.
The Library hosted a meeting to share the exterior design with the community on Feb. 6, 2018. See the final exterior design.
Interior RenovationThe interior improvements include:
- Improved entrance into the building
- Expanded space, including more space for children, adults and teens
- Upgrades to the heating, air conditioning and electrical systems
- New computer training lab with 12 computers
- New windows
- More meeting and study spaces in varying sizes
- New, larger elevator
- New furniture, carpet and fixtures
- Environmentally friendly design
The Library has received funding in FY 2018 for an exterior renovation of the library. Exterior design work is nearing completion.
The Library hosted a community meeting on July 19, 2017 to talk about the exterior renovation and to gather community input regarding the design goals.
Exterior Renovation Design Goals:
- Create a sense of arrival
- Re-make the facade of the building
- Reconnect the site to the neighborhood
The Library hosted a community meeting on Dec. 5, 2017 to share options for the exterior renovation and the timeline for phase two of the renovation. View the presentation.
The design team presented two options for the exterior facade and asked the community to provide feedback. Of the more than 400 responses, two-thirds preferred Option 2. View the exterior renovation options.
Read a compilation of the comments from the Dec. 5, 2017 community meeting.
To share your thoughts about the exterior design, please contact Martha Saccocio at Martha.Saccocio@dc.gov or 202-727-1188.
Community EngagementCommunity feedback is an important part of the design process. The Library conducted a community survey and hosted community meetings to gather input. 100 people responded to the survey. 63% of those who responded to the survey preferred that children's services be located on the 2nd floor. Read comments from the survey here.
View comments from previous community meetings.
- Community meeting, June 16, 2016. The design team presented two proposed options for the interior renovation at a community meeting and gathered feedback. View the presentation here. Read comments from the community.
- Community meeting, Aug. 18, 2016. The design team presented updated floor plans and gathered additional feedback. View the presentation here. Read the community comments here.
Questions or concerns? Contact Martha.Saccocio@dc.gov.