Capitol View Library Renovation
The Capitol View Library, at 5001 Central Ave. SE, is now open. Design for the exterior renovation is underway. The total project budget is $7.9 million.
The Library hosted a final meeting to share the exterior design with the community. See the final exterior design.
The library will close again in Summer 2018 for the exterior renovation. An interim location will open on the grounds of J.C. Nalle Elementary School for approximately three months for the exterior renovation.
The Library hosted a community meeting on Dec. 5, 2017 to share options for the exterior renovation and the timeline for phase two of the renovation. View the presentation.
The design team presented two options for the exterior facade and asked the community to provide feedback. Of the more than 400 responses, two-thirds preferred Option 2. View the exterior renovation options.
Read a compilation of the comments from the Dec. 5, 2017 community meeting.
The Library hosted a community meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017 at St. Luke's Catholic Church. View the presentation from the meeting.
Interior RenovationThe interior improvements include:
- Improved entrance into the building
- Expanded space, including more space for children, adults and teens
- Upgrades to the heating, air conditioning and electrical systems
- New computer training lab with 12 computers
- New windows
- More meeting and study spaces in varying sizes
- New, larger elevator
- New furniture, carpet and fixtures
- Environmentally friendly design
The Library has received additional funding in FY 2018 for an exterior renovation of the library. Exterior design work is nearing completion.
The Library hosted a community meeting on July 19, 2017 to talk about the exterior renovation and to gather community input regarding the design goals.
Exterior Renovation Design Goals:
- Create a sense of arrival
- Re-make the facade of the building
- Reconnect the site to the neighborhood
To share your thoughts about the exterior design, please contact Martha Saccocio at Martha.Saccocio@dc.gov or 202-727-1188.
Community EngagementCommunity feedback is an important part of the design process. The Library conducted a community survey and hosted community meetings to gather input. 100 people responded to the survey. 63% of those who responded to the survey preferred that children's services be located on the 2nd floor. Read comments from the survey here.
View comments from previous community meetings.
- Community meeting, June 16, 2016. The design team presented two proposed options for the interior renovation at a community meeting and gathered feedback. View the presentation here. Read comments from the community.
- Community meeting, Aug. 18, 2016. The design team presented updated floor plans and gathered additional feedback. View the presentation here. Read the community comments here.
Questions or concerns? Contact Martha.Saccocio@dc.gov.