Rip This Runway
- deconstruct and embellish clothes,
- practice draping on dress forms,
- sew on sewing machines, and
- show their designs on the runway.
Hosted by Carmen Webber, author, designer, businesswoman & Project Runway alum, the competition takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library. The runway show and after party will be at the National Portrait Gallery from 6 to 10 p.m.
Teens who are unable to register for the contest may participate in drop-in fashion illustration programs at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. in the Teen Space.
In preparation for Rip This Runway, the Petworth Neighborhood Library is hosting a fashion illustration workshop on Tuesday, August 2, at 2 p.m.
If you are a fashion design junkie, like myself, you will have fun exploring DC Public Library's fashion collection. We have a myriad of books on fashion design, fashion illustration, fashion designers, style, culture and costumes. A few I recommend are:
- Essential Fashion Illustration edited by Maite Lafuente,
- Fashion Design Drawing Course by Caroline Tatham, and
- Big Book of Fashion Illustration by Martin Dawber.