Opportunities for Teens | More Resources for Teens
The Teen Council is DC Public Library's paid leadership opportunity for teens. The Council is made up of eight (8) members, one for each of ward in the District. Members' duties are split between working at a library in their ward and meeting with the other members and the Teen Services Coordinator to advise on teen services for the DC Public Library at large. Selected candidates are expected to be leaders in the library, in their communities and among their peers.
Vacancies for Teen Council are filled on a ward-by-ward basis. Council members must be:
- A resident of the D.C. ward the Council is looking to fill
- 14 to 19 years old
Able to work 12 hours per week Oct. 2020 through Aug. 2021
Teen Council members have a variety of tasks. The basic job responsibilities are:
- Advise the library on teen services and initiatives
- Work on projects relating to teen events across the District
- Write website and/or social media posts (check out the teen blog, Teen's Corner)
- Deliver great customer service by welcoming people to and answering questions about the library
- Providing tech support on public computers and kiosks
- Create and lead programs for the public
- Get patrons excited about our collections and encourage reading
- Assist staff with community outreach and promoting the library to your peers
Teen Council members get paid $15.00 per hour. In addition to that wage, Council Members also:
- Gain customer service skills that members can use to apply to any other job
- Learn how to communicate better with all kinds of people - including adults and peers
- Get professional development training on things like how to run a successful program
Meet other incredible teens from around the city
The Teen Council is seeking candidates for the Ward 4, Ward 5, and Ward 8 positions. Apply at careers.dc.gov or click here and search for "Teen Aide". The application closes October 15th.
Note: While selected candidates will be assigned to a home library upon hire, Teen Council employees are working online only until further notice.