Children's Events in May
During the month of May, Rosedale is excited to share several special events and movie nights!
- Thursday, May 1 at 4 p.m.: Mother Goose Day - There will be a special Mother Goose story time with a showing of a fairy tale movie.
- Friday, May 2 at 4 p.m.: Space Day - Celebrate Space Day with a special reading of Joanna Cole’s Magic School Bus: Lost in the Solar System and some space-themed crafts!
- Saturday, May 3 at 11 a.m.: Mother’s Day Crafts and Movie - Join Rosedale in celebrating Mother’s Day with a mother-themed story time, a movie based on Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, and crafts! Children can make specialized bookmarks as Mother’s Day gifts.
- Monday, May 5 at 4 p.m.: Cinco de Mayo Celebration - Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Mexican music, crafts, and a Cinco de Mayo word search!
- Tuesday, May 6 at 3 p.m.: Asian/Pacific Islander Heritage Movie -- Celebrate Asian/Pacific Islander Heritage Month with a Disney movie set in Hawaii!
- Tuesday, May 6 any time after 4:30 p.m.: Pop Up Game Night for ‘Tweens - A spontaneous (board/card/group) games will take place whenever a group of 6 or more ‘Tweens have congregated. (Ages 8-13)
- Wednesday, May 7 at 4:30 p.m.: - Get Caught Reading Month! Special Picture Day Story Time & Display - Enjoy a photography-themed story time session! Then children can pick a book they like from our shelves and flash their brightest smile during our "book lovers photo shoot." A special "Get Caught Reading Month" display will feature the pictures taken of our young participants as they get caught in the act of reading! (Appropriate for children ages 3-9 who are accompanied by an adult who will sign each child's photo consent form, which will be provided during the program)
- Tuesday, May 13 at 5 p.m.: The Wizard of Oz - To celebrate Frank L. Baum’s birthday, enjoy a special showing of The Wizard of Oz and take-home coloring pages afterwards!
- Saturday, May 17 at 11 a.m.: Family Story Time - Stories, songs and poems for families with children ages 7 and younger.
- Tuesday, May 20 at 4:30 p.m.: Fun in the Far East Story Time and Film - Children will read two books featuring Asian/Pacific Islanders, learn facts about the various countries represented, and enjoy a Ninja-themed craft while watching the panda movie starring Jack Black. (Ages 7 and younger)
- Friday, May 23 at 4 p.m.: Memorial Day Story and Crafts - Children can listen to Theresa Golding’s Memorial Day Surprise and then do crafts in honor of Memorial Day.
- Tuesday, May 27 at 4:30 p.m.: Reel Reading Move Night - Join Rosedale's Reel Reading Book Club! Kids read a book and then on the last Tuesday of each month they watch the movie that was based on, or the movie that inspired the book. Kids can enjoy a brief group discussion as well! Movie to be determined at the April 22 book club.
- Saturday, May 31 beginning at 10 a.m.: Library Lovers Like to Bike - Families with children ages 9 and younger can celebrate National Bike Month as they meet Ms. Tea and our friendly neighborhood police officers at the Rosedale Recreation Center playground to participate in a pleasant bike ride to Northeast Library. Once there, we will join other Ward 6 families for a combined, Rosedale/Northeast/Southeast Library outdoor story time with activities and refreshments! (An adult chaperone and a helmet is required for each child biker.)