Records of the District of Columbia Citizens for Better Public Education (DCCBPE), 1965-1982
Collection No. 2 (7 linear ft.)
D.C. Community Archives
ProvenanceThe Records were donated by Miles Mark Fisher, IV, President of District of Columbia Citizens for Better Public Education (DCCBPE) in 1984.
HistoryThe DCCBPE was organized in 1964 to assess educational needs in the District and to lobby for educational improvements before the U.S. Congress and local government officials. DCCBPE's first public meeting was held on March 28, 1965 at Rankin Chapel, Howard University, with then U.S. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy as the keynote speaker. The organization was involved in many of the major issues affecting public education during the 1960s and 1970s, including decentralization of the school superintendent's authority, de facto segregation, D.C. home rule, and student rights. One of its more successful programs was Reading is Fundamental (RIF) which provided free books to students and was headed by Mrs. Robert McNamara, wife of the Secretary of Defense. RIF programs eventually spread nationwide. DCCBPE also hosted an Annual Awards Dinner, which honored persons who made exceptional contributions to public education, including Julius Hobson in 1973. DCCBPE ceased operations in 1984.
Processing ProceduresGeneral processing procedures consisted of discarding duplicates, unnecessary binders, and routine transmittals. Preservation copying of newspaper clippings was performed whenever feasible.
Scope and Content NoteThe collection contains annual and board of directors' minutes, administrative directives, legislative testimony, financial reports, and copies of the organization's newsletter, the Bulletin Board. Also included are numerous studies and reports sponsored by DCCBPE such as Student Responsibilities and Rights, A Quest for Equal Educational Opportunity in a Major Urban School District, and Creating a Resource Allocation System to name a few.
- Board of director’s meeting minutes and agenda, 1982-83 (3 folders)
- Mercedes A. King, 1982-83 (2 folders)
- Executive Director’s reports, 1982-83
- Testimony, 1983
- Annual meeting working papers, 1982
- Statement on the fiscal year budget, 1984
- Annual meeting, 1982
- National Capital Comprehensive Plan, n.d.
- Conferences and meetings, 1982
- D.C. Education Coalition, 1982
- Handicapped hearings, 1982
- Fiscal budget information, 1983
- Energetic News (Vols. 1-4), n.d.
- Special Education Workshop, I handout folder, 1980
- Reading is Fundamental Committee report, n.d.
- Learning disabilities, 1979
- Residential placements, n.d.
- Comprehensive plan for the Delivery of Services to the Handicapped Children & Youth, 1976
- Civil Action #16-77, Children’s Defense Fund, n.d.
- Miscellaneous notes of Deborah Ramsey, 1981-83
- Children’s Center, 1972
- Revised Agreement for Residential Placement, 1980
- Proposal Board of Education Rules, Special education of D.C., 1980
- Compliance monitoring branch information, 1980-81
- Information from Closer Look, n.d.
- Comprehensive Plan, 1979
- Committee on Special Education meeting, 9/24/1980
- Special education complaint management system, 1980
- Department of Education News, 1980
- Development I.E.P. information, ca. 1977
- Fact Sheet, special education, n.d.
- Intensive Junior high school instruction, discussion paper only, 1980
- W&S NSC, D. Ramsey information, n.d.
- 1979-80 Annual program plan amendment, Education of the Handicapped Act, Part B (amended
- by P194-142)
- Annual Program, FY 1979
- Special education memorandum of Agreement, n.d.
- Special education monitoring and observation, 1973
- D.C. Law 2-137, Mentally Retarded Citizens Constitutional Rights and Dignity Act of 1978
- Newsletter, 1978-81
- Overview of program administration, 1980
- Parent Involvement Committee Workshop, I.E.P., n.d.
- Parent Involvement Committee, 1980
- Quality monitoring, D.C.P.S., 1980-81
- Referral process for Assessment identification, n.d.
- Road Map to Special education for Handicapped Children, ca. 1978
- Residential placement agreement, 1980
- Special education information, n.d.
- Special education cases, 1980
- Draft FY 1981-83 State Plan for Part B of the Education of the Handicapped Act, 1981-83
- Special Education Fair, 1981
- Special Transfer form, Area A, n.d.
- General, 1971-75
- Who is Really Special?, Nagle article
- Task Force-Cedar Knoll Oak Hill, 1981
- Waddy decision testimony, 1973
- Workshop parent training, 1980
- Court hearing, 1981
- Bulletin Board, April 1965-December, 1970 [non-inclusive] (6 folders)
- Special Report: Merit Pay Differential, December 1970
- Special Report: Staffing: The Clark Plan, December 1970
- Bulletin Board, February 1971-December 1975 [non-inclusive] (5 folders)
- Invierno, 1974-1975
- Special Report, January 1976
- Bulletin Board, January 1976-October 1978 [non-inclusive] (3 folders)
- Special Report, October 1978
- Bulletin Board, December 1978-September 1982 [non-inclusive] (5 folders)
- Parent Resource Paper, September 1979
- Final draft: A Quest for Educational Opportunity in a Major Urban School System: The
- Case of Washington, D.C., December 1974
- A Quest for Educational Opportunity in a Major Urban School System: The Case of Washington,
- D.C., August 1975
- Report on the School Lunch & Breakfast Programs in Washington, D.C. by Marcy Gross,
- August 1975
- Equalization: A Report on Compliance with Two Court Decisions in the District of
- Columbia, June 1975
- Student Responsibilities & Rights: A Training Booklet, 1976
- Creating a Resource Allocation System for the D.C. Public Schools, January 1977
- Creating a Resource Allocation System for the D.C. Public Schools, April 1977
- Directory of Services for Handicapping Conditions, September 1973 (3 folders)
- Directory of Services for Handicapping Conditions, September 1977
- Assessing Special Education: A Guide for Parents and Advocates, 1980
- D.C. Public Schools Central Administration Directory, 1976-78
- Administrator’s Guide to Student Identification, Assessment and Placement, Vincent E.
- Reed, Superintendent
- D.C. Public Schools Administrative Procedure Handbook, Vincent E. Reed, 1977 (2 folders)
- Toward Better Schools: A Summary of the Passow Report, 1967
- Early Education: School for Children Under Six, 1968
- Your School Record: Questions & Answers about a New Set of Rights for Parents &
- Students, 1976
- Student Rights and Responsibilities, 1974
- What Every Teacher Should Know About Student Rights, 1975
- A Handbook for Standardized School Testing: For Parents & Students, 1978
- Kendall Demonstration Elementary School, Galludet College, n.d.,
- Minorities in Marine Education, 1982