Records of the Greg Reynolds Dance Quintet, 1969-1984
Collection No. 22 (5.75 Linear ft.)
D.C. Community Archives
ProvenanceGreg Reynolds donated the records of the Quintet in 1986.
HistoryGreg Reynolds, a native of Anacostia, trained in the District with Erika Thimey and Batya Heller. He earned a B.A. at Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, New York and received a scholarship to study with Alvin Ailey, specializing in liturgical dance. From 1973-1976, he was a member of the Paul Taylor Dance Company and traveled throughout the United States and Europe.
In 1976, he founded the Greg Reynolds Quintet, a multi-ethnic modern dance company that had its initial performance in Moscow. The Quintet, which lasted until 1984, engaged in a variety of performances, including concerts-in-the-schools, workshops, liturgical dance, and public service events in local, national, and international venues. Mr. Reynolds was also associate choreographer for the Omega Liturgical Dance Company.
Throughout his dance career, Reynolds was particularly active and interested in bringing dance and the arts to students. In the District, he worked with Meridian House International, the DC Public Library, DC Public Achools, and local arts organizations to bring dance to local students. He also taught and conducted a workshop titled “dance conversations” with the Quintet in many U.S. cities in the 1970s.
In 1981, he was appointed for a three-year term to the D.C. Commission on the Arts.
Processing ProceduresGeneral processing procedures consisted of discarding duplicates, unnecessary binders, and routine transmittals. Oversized documents were removed from the original location in their assigned series and placed in separate containers. Separation sheets were inserted in the original location within the folder to indicate the new location of any records placed elsewhere. Preservation copying of newspaper clippings was performed whenever feasible.
Scope and Content NoteThe collection contains performance programs, playbills, flyers, press releases, newspaper clippings, musical scores, correspondence, and administrative records primarily of the Greg Reynolds Quintet. Also included are personal correspondence, memorabilia, and other personal items of Gregory Reynolds.
Related CollectionsSee Martin Petersilia Collection, Collection 16.
Correspondence, notes, and a variety of miscellaneous documents found in the collection were arranged chronologically and placed in this series during processing to facilitate research. Also included are records from the Omega Liturgical Dance Company, for which Greg Reynolds was the associate choreographer from the mid-1970s until the early 1980s.
The Japan Today materials include programs, correspondence, background information, internal memoranda, handwritten notes, photographs, publicity packets, and press releases. Mr. Reynolds was responsible for the Japan Today School and Community Outreach Program of dance and mime performances, and a student poster and essay contest.
Also included in the series are other programs such as Youth for Understanding and Mexico Today at Meridian House.
- Publicity (5 folders), 1972-1977
- Arlington County Humanities Project, “Dance and Conversation,” 1982-1983
- Australia tour, 1979
- Carnegie Recital Hall performance, 1983
- Chicago, Loyola University Institute of Pastoral Studies, 1979
- Fairfax Council for the Arts Program for Schools, 1982-1983
- Glen Echo Park Summer Dance Festival, 1981
- Lake Placid Adirondack Festival of the Arts, 1981
- Michigan performance workshops
- Minnesota workshops
- Ohio and Kentucky
- Trinity Theater, Georgetown University, “Handel Dances”
- Wisconsin tour
- YWCA Arts Advisory Council
- Artist-In-Schools Program, 1979
- Awards and certificates, n.d.
- Contracts, 1979
- Correspondence from, 1979
- Correspondence, 1979-1983
- Chronological files, 1968-1984 (2 folders)
- Chronological files, 1968-1984 (3 folders)
- Dancer resumes, ca. 1981-1982
- Lansburgh lease, ca. 1979-1982
- Lansburgh plans, 1979
- Peace Through Arts Day, 1980
- Publications, 1977-1981
- Telephone, ca. 1981
- Omega Liturgical Dance Co. 1974-1978
- Programs, n.d.
- Programs, 1969-1975
- Programs, 1976-1979 (3 folders)
- Programs, 1980-1984 (4 folders)
- D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities, 1980
- Diary excerpt, n.d.
- Horoscope of Greg Reynolds, n.d.
- Memorabilia, n.d.
- Personal notes, 1979
- Personal correspondence, 1979-1981
- Personal items, ca. 1966
- Japan Today, general administrative, 1979
- Demonstrations-In-the-School photos, 1979
- Essay Contest, 1979
- Film list, 1979
- General information, 1979
- General Resources on Japan, 1978
- Japan Today programs, n.d.
- Japan Airlines promotional materials, n.d.
- Sarah Lawrence Bulletin, January 1975
- GreenLake Festival of Music poster, summer 1981
- Crayon drawings from Mrs. Cupe's second-grade class, 1981
Originally prepared by Leroy Graham
Revised by Faye Haskins, December 2000
DC Public Library, Special Collections
DC Community Archives
Back to Special Collections Homepage