Records of the Mt. Pleasant Neighbors Association, 1959-1964 & Historic Mt. Pleasant, 1985-1996
Collection No. 37 (.6 Linear ft.)
D.C. Community Archives
ProvenanceThe records of the Mt. Pleasant Neighbors Association were donated to the Library by Eugene Baker, a former president of the association.
HistoryMt. Pleasant Neighbors Association:
The Mt. Pleasant Neighbors Association was organized in 1959 to stabilize, improve, and maintain the community. The specific goals of the charter were to welcome neighbors, promote the safety of the citizens, develop cooperative relationships with other civic associations, stimulate civic consciousness, and combat community deterioration.
Fundamental to the charter was the interracial aspect of the neighborhood. The association believed a healthier, stable community depended on neighbors working together to resolve fear and distrust.
Through the years, the MPNA has been involved in a number of grassroots campaigns. The first president of the MPNA, Eugene M. Baker, lobbied on behalf of Home Rule for the District of Columbia as early as 1959. The association was also active in the desegregation of Glen Echo, the implementation of summer recreational programs, and the endorsement of District funding for the day care of children with working mothers.
Historic Mt. Pleasant:
The application to the Historic Preservation Division of the District of Columbia for a Mt. Pleasant Historic District saw the incorporation of a nonprofit organization, Historic Mt. Pleasant, in 1985. While the organization provides a means for community involvement and improvement, its primary concern is the preservation and restoration of the historic buildings and landscape of Mt. Pleasant. The organization sponsors a Revolving Loan Fund to aid residents of historic homes to preserve and/or restore their porches and street-facing facades.
Scope and Content NoteRecords from the Mt. Pleasant Neighbors Association extend from Aug. 5, 1959 to Aug. 24, 1964. The collection contains, primarily, correspondence, testimonials, membership guidelines, and information about club activities and campaigns. Records for the nonprofit, Historic Mt. Pleasant, cover the years 1985 through 1996. Items in the collection include membership guidelines and information on the Mt. Pleasant Revolving Loan Funds.
- Mt. Pleasant Neighbors Association
- Clean-Up Program and Brochures (3 folders)
- Clippings, Misc., 1962
- Correspondence to the Neighborhood Association, 1959-1964
- Day Care for Children of Working Mothers
- Drafts of Letters
- Forms and Stationery
- Map of Mt. Pleasant
- Meeting Announcements, 1961-1962
- Meeting Sign-In Sheet, 1961
- Membership Information
- Minutes of Meetings, 1960
- Mt. Pleasant Artists
- Neighborhood Association Correspondence, 1959-1964
- Nomination of Committee Officers
- Resolution opposing construction of the “Cross Park Freeway” 1959
- Resolution to develop recreational program, 1964
- Street Car and transportation change-over, 1961 (4 folders)
- Testimony regarding Home Rule, 1959
- Historic Mt. Pleasant
- Application for the creation of a Mt. Pleasant Historic District, 1985
- Guidelines for Building Permits in the Historic District
- Membership Information, 1985, 1996
- Preservation Briefs
- Results of Mt. Pleasant Planning Workshop, 1992
- Revolving Loan Fund
DC Public Library, Special Collections
D.C. Community Archives
Back to Special Collections Homepage