Records of the Chillum Heights Citizens Association, 1894-1962; 1984-1989
Collection No. 42 (1.5 Linear feet)
D.C. Community Archives
HistoryThe Chillum Heights Citizens Association was known as the Citizens Association of Rock Creek Church Road and Vicinity when organized in April 1894. A few months later, the name was changed to Woodburn Citizens' Association and finally to the Chillum Heights Citizens' Association. The records include correspondence, minutes, clippings, reports, and financial materials from the Chillum Heights Citizens Association. There are also topical files and other items relating to the Federation of Citizens Association.
Scope and ContentContains meeting minutes, correspondence, financial materials, membership lists, and clippings regarding the activities of the Association. Collection also includes topical files on such subjects as D.C. home rule and suffrage, juvenile delinquency, crime, civil rights, racism, D.C. budget, the Rock Creek expressway as well as items from the Federation of Citizens Association and Neighbors Inc.
Folders are arranged into three series:
- Constitution and By-laws, 1895
- Constitution, By-laws, and amendments, 1940
- Clippings, 1950-1962
- Community map, n.d.
- D.C. organizations, 1961-1962
- Federation of Citizens Association, 1910-1963
- Federation of Citizens Association newsletter, 1954-1955
- Highway clippings, 1959-1961
- Membership list, 1948
- Membership roll, n.d.
- Minutes, 1894-1899
- Neighbors Inc. 1961-1964
- Minutes and meeting procedures, September 1945-October, 1946
- Neighborhood associations, 1956-1963
- Proclamations and remarks regarding the Charles Langley Bridge, Aug. 7, 1946
- Rockcreek Expressway, n.d.
- Treasure's reports, 1929-1938
- Correspondence, 1938-1940
- Correspondence and minutes,
- Correspondence, 1948-1960
- Correspondence and minutes, 1950-1952
- October 1952-May 1953
- July 1953-June 1954
- September 1954-1956
- Correspondence and minutes, 1957-1959
- Correspondence and minutes, 1960-1962
- Civic Defense, n.d.
- Civil Rights and racism, n.d.
- Communism, n.d.
- Crime, 1951
- D.C. budget, 1960-1962
- Education. 1960-62
- Health care, 1953-1955
- Home rule and suffrage, 1954-1963
- Housing, 1952-53
- Juvenile delinquency, ca. 1960
- Letter control, n.d.
- Media, 1954
- Public Utilities, 1952-1954
- Recreation, 1962
- Traffic, 1962
- Urban renewal, 1960
- Washington Community Chest, ca. 1948
- Youth issues, 1963
- Zoning, 1956
DC Public Library, Special Collections
D.C. Community Archives
901 G St. NW, Room 307
Washington, D.C. 20001
Back to Special Collections Homepage