Shubert-Garrick-Belasco Theatre Collection, 1918-1934
Collection No. 72 (2 Linear Feet)
D.C. Community Archives
ProvenanceThe collection was accessioned into the D.C. Community Archives in 1998; however, evidence shows that it had been a part of the archives for some time before 1997. The donor is unknown.
HistoryThe Shubert Theatres were owned by the Shubert Brothers of New York. The Shubert brothers, Lee, Sam and Jacob, owned theaters throughout the United States, including Washington, D.C. They originally staged operettas and then moved on to staging musicals and dramas in the 1930s and 1940s. Originally created as Shubert Enterprises, the Shubert Organization still manages theaters throughout the U.S., including the National Theatre in Washington, D.C.
In Washington, D.C., from the 1910s to the 1930s, the Shuberts managed the Garrick Theatre, the Belasco Theatre and Poli’s Theatre. After examining the programs from these three theaters, it is assumed that the Garrick Theatre ceased existence around 1925. By 1925, the Shuberts produced one program for both the Belasco Theatre and Poli’s Theatre.
Scope and Content NoteThis collection consists of five bound volumes of financial records from the Shubert Garrick Theatre and the Shubert Belasco Theatre. These records show the expenses and financial reports for various productions from 1918 to 1934.
RestrictionsThere are no restrictions to this collection.
- See also the Theatre Program Collection, Washingtoniana, D.C. Community Archives. Includes the Garrick Theatre and Poli’s and Belasco Theatre programs (bound).
- See also the Shubert Archive, The Lyceum Theatre, 149 West 45th St., New York, N.Y., 10036.
- Bound Volumes
- Shubert-Garrick Weekly Statements, January 1918-May 1919
- Shubert-Garrick Weekly Statements, October 1919-May 1920
- Shubert-Garrick Weekly Statements, September 1920-May 1921
- Shubert Advanced Vaudeville Circuit, Inc.
- Shubert-Belasco Weekly Statements, October 1921-April 1922
- Shubert-Belasco Weekly Statements, September 1925-June 1926
|FF 1||Programs, Garrick, 1919-1924|
|FF 2||Programs, Garrick, n.d.|
|FF 3||Account Book, Belasco, 1929|
|FF 4||Checks, Belasco, 1928-1934|
|FF 5||Film Contracts, Belasco, 1936|
|FF 6||Programs, Belasco, 1923-1924|
|FF 7||Ticket Stubs, Belasco, n.d.|
|FF 8||Weekly Statements, Belasco, December 1928-November 1929|
Compiled by Ryan P. Semmes, January 2007
DC Public Library, Special Collections
D.C. Community Archives
901 G St. NW, Room 307
Washington, D.C. 20001
Back to Special Collections Homepage