Sewage Disposal Plant Photograph Collection, 1903-1906
Collection No. P28
DC Community Archives
Images were donated to the library on March 2, 1956, however there is neither a deed of gift nor any record in the Washingtoniana Day Books from that period. Documents with the collection credit the gift to two men, but is unclear which estate donated the photographs. The first man, Ambrose B. Stannard was the architect who designed and built the facility and the other was Horace M. Woodward, a District employee for over forty years. A note on the accession record indicates that the images came from the Woodward estate, but not other evidence can be found to support this statement.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The collection consists of eighty-four 8x10 images that detail the construction of the District’s Sewage Disposal Plant between 1903 and 1906. The plant, which is still in operation, is located at the foot of New Jersey Avenue near the corner of 2nd and N Streets in Southeast Washington. The plant pumps collected sanitary sewage and some stormwater from the city’s sewer system to the Potomac River discharge point at Blue Plains, the southern most point of the District.
Images appear to have been a part of a photo album, however at some point the album was dismantled and each page was placed in an individual acid free folder. Each page, with an image on either side, was placed in a protective sleeve and returned to the folder, housed in an archival box and then deposited in the DC Community Archives for long-term storage.
There are no restrictions on viewing the prints from this collection. All photographs are in the “public domain,” therefore there are no restrictions on reproduction. Reproductions should appear with the proper attribution indicating that the photograph is housed in the Sewage Disposal Plant Photograph Collection and indicate that they appear “courtesy of the Washingtoniana Division, DC Public Library.”
Prepared by Mark S. Greek, Photo Archivist, September 2006
DC Public Library, Special Collections
DC Community Archives
901 G Street NW, Room 307
Washington, D.C. 20001
Back to Special Collections Homepage