Collections by Title
Appointments are required to use collections in the Archives. Patrons can visit our Appointments/Contacts/Hours page (preferred) or call 202-727-2272 to make an appointment.
Established in 1893 as a literary society, the Abracadabra Club established to provide its membership with an outlet of discussion for its scholarly, political and personal interests. Membership equally divided between men and women. The records consist of meeting minutes, attendance records, financial records, correspondence, clippings, pamphlets, photographs and yearbooks, all related to the activities of the Abracadabra Club and its members.
The Adams v. Clinton was and unsuccessful case brought in the US District Court for the District of Columbia seeking full voter representation in The United States Congress, equal treatment and protection from the United States Congress, and autonomous local self-government for the citizens of the District of Columbia under the Due Process Clause of the 5th Amendment of the United States Constitution. The documents include a portion of the materials used during the case tried before the U.S. District Court.
The Adams Morgan Better Neighborhood Conference and the Hollyday House were two organizations formed in the mid-1950s to combat blight, promote urban renewal, and restore community pride in the Adams Morgan area. Records of include its incorporation papers, by-laws, constitution, statement of purpose, a history, newsletters, correspondence, meeting minutes (1957-1960), financial information, studies reports, photographs, publicity, clippings, and membership lists.
The Adams-Morgan Community Council was formed in the late 1950s as a result of a two-year demonstration project to improve the Adams-Morgan neighborhood, which had deteriorated over the prior decade. The project sought to build viable neighborhood organizations that could plan and work for improvements in blighted areas of Adams-Morgan. The records consist of correspondence, minutes, announcements, budgets and clippings and cover such topics as housing, racial discrimination, and community organizations.
Albert W. Atwood (1879-1975) was a leader in the scholarly, journalistic and philanthropic communities in Washington, DC in the early twentieth century. He served as President of the Board of Trustees for the DC Public Library, was President of the Cosmos Club, and was a regular contributor to The Saturday Evening Post and The National Geographic Magazine, as well as various local newspapers and journals. The collection consists of scrapbooks containing articles and editorials from The Saturday Evening Post and The National Geographic Magazine, as well as three books and a poster from the DC Public Library.
A native Washingtonian, Albert J. Headley, Jr. (1905-1978) was actively involved with his community throughout his life. A leader in both civic and church organizations, Headley became a “prominent community activist,” according to his obituary in the Washington Post. The collection consists of materials dealing almost exclusively with the issue of urban development. The materials span the years 1945 to 1976, with the bulk of the items dating from 1955 to 1968.
The American Society of Music and Fine Arts was founded by violinist and critic Elena de Sayn in 1934, for the purpose of promoting knowledge and appreciation of music and fine arts, and assembling together artists and patrons of the arts. The collection consists of a scrapbook containing clippings, meeting minutes, invitations and event announcements.
Collection consists of 260 3” x 3” B&W photographs of the exterior of certain properties with the date and owner’s name identified. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The American Society of Landscape Architects was organized to advance the education and skills of landscape architects and to promote interest in urban, regional, and neighborhood planning. The Potomac Chapter encompasses D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. The collection contains correspondence, meeting minutes, reports, financial data, and membership information which document the work and activities of the Chapter.
The National Capital Area Chapter is one of the largest chapters of the American Society for Public Administration, which is dedicated to advancing the art, science, teaching and practice of public and non-profit administration. The collection includes budgets, financial statements, membership information, newsletters, handbooks, conference materials, annual reports, and meeting minutes from the Society’s office files and past officers of the Society.
Collection of files assembled by donor, Ann Satterthwaite, in the course of volunteer work on the Georgetown Waterfront Commission, 1968-1986.
The Arts Club of Washington, D.C., was formed in May 1916 “to create a center for artists and art lovers.” The original intent was to make a national rather than a local organization which would stimulate interest in and encourage art and which would avoid all politics. Most of the documents are photocopies of clippings from the newspaper society pages from 1916 to the 1960s.
Founded in Baltimore, MD by David Bachrach in 1868, Bachrach Photography is one on the nation’s most widely known portrait studios. The collection consists of 156 8x10 portraits, which were used in an exhibit entitled Washington’s Millennium Leaders – Through the Bachrach Lens.
In 1980 Beacon College in Columbus, Georgia, conducted a total of 17 oral history interviews. Topics include the childhood experiences in country of origin, immigration to Washington, family structure, work and social experiences, comparison between their country and the United States, the Catholic religion and the Hispanic community in Washington.
This collection consists of seven series, which include biographical information, correspondence, documentation of community involvement and service through affiliation with organizations, government agencies and departments and also speeches and testimony. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Benjamin Franklin University was organized and incorporated in 1925 to succeed Pace Institute in Washington. It was designed to continue the Pace courses, which have been offered in the city since 1907. It was the only school in Washington conducting the Pace courses in Accountancy and Business Administration. The University was authorized to confer academic degrees for undergraduate and post-graduate work. The collection consists of Yearbooks and Alumni and Student books.
This collection includes photographs and correspondence from soldiers in four branches of the armed forces: Air Force, Army, Marines, and Navy. In many of the photos, you will see a young and exuberant Benjamin O. Davis, who accomplished a lot and made advancements for African American in the armed services. Photos of soldiers include field combat, hospital recuperation, and leisure time. Correspondence includes letters, press releases, and soldiers’ personal notes. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
This collection consists of bills and receipts paid by various members of the Burrows family. The majority were paid by Alexander Burrows (ca. 1785-1862) between 1820 and 1857, while the rest were paid by Mary V. Burrows (ca. 1827-1901) and Jane Burrows between 1866 and 1901.
Founded in 1879 on the steps of the United States Capitol, the Capital Bicycle Club was incorporated in 1886 and was the third club of its kind in the United States. They used its motto of “Swiftly and Silently” to affect public perception of the new transportation device by working with local officials on bicycle safety measures. The collection contains photographs, scrapbooks, and record books.
In March 1983 Capital Children’s Museum in Washington, D.C., conducted approximately 39 oral history interviews of which the Washingtoniana division has resources available for 35. Adolescents conducted the interviews. The project focused on the childhood experiences of adults over 60. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Capitol Hill History Club was organized November 24, 1897. The object of the club was “the study of history and various literary works.” The collection consists of 28 annual club programs.
The Capitol Hill Symphony Society was established in 1964 and was created “for the purpose of providing ‘support for musical activities in the city of Washington, particularly…Capitol Hill.’” The collection consists of correspondence, memos, by-laws, photographs, programs, meeting minutes, and press releases.
Commonly known as cabinet card or carte de visite, were a widely popular form of photographic portraiture in the late nineteenth century. The collection consists of albumen card mounted portraits.
This 7½” x 12½” hard-bound account ledger contains 200 pages upon which were recorded by proprietor Charles B. Hunter merchandise sold to approximately 80 customers between 1894 and 1896.
Charles Suddarth Kelly (1920-2008) is a retired television broadcasting executive and longtime resident of the District of Columbia. The collection consists of images and negatives.
Charles McCollough (1941-1996) was a pastor at the United House of Prayer from 1975 to 1992. This collection consists of records that document his life of ministry and service.
The Chillum Heights Citizens Association was known as the Citizens Association of Rock Creek Church Road and Vicinity when organized in April 1894. A few months later, the name was changed to Woodburn Citizens' Association and finally to the Chillum Heights Citizens' Association. The records include correspondence, minutes, clippings, reports, and financial materials from the Chillum Heights Citizens Association.
The Choral Society of Washington held its first meeting in 1883 (incorporated in 1892) at the home of Jonathan Jay Knox. The materials included in this collection are: clippings, Bulletins, correspondence, programs, tickets, financial records, meeting minutes, and printed items.
In order to promote environmental conservation and horticultural interest, area residents founded the Cleveland Park Garden Club in 1953. The collection contains correspondence, financial materials, meeting minutes, by-laws, membership lists, and newsletters.
Clifford Kennedy Berryman (1867-1949) was an editorial cartoonist at the Washington Evening Star. Berryman’s most famous creation was the “Berryman Bear,” a small, fuzzy bear cub that was the inspiration for the toy teddy bear. He first drew the bear in a Washington Post cartoon, inspired by an incident in which President Theodore Roosevelt refused to shoot a defenseless bear cub at the end of an otherwise fruitless bear hunt. The story became a legend and secured Roosevelt a reputation for fair play and compassion. Berryman depicted the event in a cartoon entitled “Drawing the Line in Mississippi” (November 21, 1902) and the public instantly embraced his depiction of the little bear and clamored for further appearances. Collection contains 108 political cartoons drawn for publication in the Washington Evening Star from approximately 1900 to 1948. . The cartoons address community issues, congressional appropriation and District finances, holidays and events, politics, District political representation, weather and nature, and World Wars I and II. The physical collection is currently unavailable, but is fully digitized on Dig DC.
The Colony Theatre opened in 1926. It was designed by John J. Zink and operated by Warner Brothers Studio until the 1950s. The theatre also housed the DC Black Repertory Theatre Company in the1970s. In the 1990s the theatre was turned into apartments. The Images in this collection were taken in the 1980s during a period when the building was vacant. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Columbian Harmony Cemetery was established as a resting ground for free blacks in Washington in 1829. The cemetery was situated between Boundary Street (Florida Avenue), S Street, and 6th Street Northwest. Payne’s Cemetery was established prior to 1880 in Washington, D.C. The land was located at 4724 Benning Road Southeast and was used, primarily, as a burial place for African-Americans in the District. The collection consists of ten ledgers which are organized in chronological order based on the first entry in each book. Information found in the ledgers includes: name of deceased, plot location, and date of burial.
The Columbian was a community paper covering the Adams Morgan neighborhood, which began publication in the 1970s. The collection consists of background research materials gathered for issues covered by the newspaper. It includes correspondence, clippings, press releases, photographs, government documents, publications, reports, flyers, legal pleadings, and handwritten notes.
The Council of Jewish Women was established “to bring about closer relations among Jewish Women; to furnish by an organic union a medium of communication and a means of prosecuting work of common interest; to further united efforts in behalf of Judaism by supplying means of study; to further united efforts in behalf of social reform by the application of the best philanthropic thought.” The collection consists of Yearbooks and Programs.
The Daughters of the American Colonists were organized on April 25, 1921. The objects of the group were “to base eligibility to membership upon lineage descent from those men and women who once were actual residents of America when it was under foreign government as Colonies; to make research and publish the same; to erect memorials to commemorate Colonial deeds and places of interest; to inculcate and foster the love of America and its institutions, by all its residents; to obey its laws and to venerate its flag, the emblem of its power and civic righteousness; and for mutual improvement and educational purposes.” The collection consists of Yearbooks and Programs.
The District of Columbia State Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was established in 1891. This collection consists of yearbooks covering the years from 1924-1962. Included in this collection are District of Columbia Local Chapter yearbooks, as well as District of Columbia State Chapter yearbooks.
David Kiefer, a local Washington, DC-area resident and avid theatre goer whose collection consists of newsletters, programs, publications and other materials related to Washington, DC theatres.
Original and reproduction manuscript/transcript materials document periods in the lives of three Georgetown residents who were owners and residents of one of Georgetown’s storied landmarks, Evermay
The District of Columbia Citizens for Better Public Education (DCCBPE) was organized in 1964 to assess educational needs in the District and to lobby for educational improvements before the U.S. Congress and local government officials. One of DCCBPE’s more successful programs was Reading is Fundamental (RIF) which provided free books to students and was headed by Mrs. Robert McNamara. The RIF programs eventually spread nationwide. The collection contains annual and board of directors' minutes, administrative directives, legislative testimony, financial reports, and copies of the organization's newsletter, the Bulletin Board.
The D.C. Civil War Centennial Commission was established in D.C. to coordinate local events to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Civil War. The collection contains some correspondence, including a few letters from U.S. Presidents, clippings, photographs, booklets, programs, and other memorabilia from the Commission.
District of Columbia Government, D.C. Public Library Archives, 1898-present
The archives contains the official records of the Free Public Library, a subscriber-based library, and the District of Columbia Public Library established in 1898. The records contain photographs, slides, correspondence, scrapbooks, posters, newsletters, blueprints, maps, architectural drawings, meeting minutes, internal memoranda, audiotapes, reports, payroll ledgers, financial information, and other official files. The records document the operations and projects of the library’s director, board of trustees, divisions, departments, central library, and branch libraries. Selected photographs from this collection have been digitized and are available on Dig DC.
The D.C. Historic Preservation Division was part of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs which was governed by the D.C. Historic Landmark and Historic District Protection Act of 1978. The Division was the agency responsible for surveying historic properties in D.C. in order to maintain the Inventory of Historic Sites, many of which are included in the National Register of Historic Places. The Division also reviewed and issued building permits for properties of historic significance. The collection contains photographs, negatives, and some slides, of historic properties in the city taken from approximately 1970-1987.
The papers of the District of Columbia Library Association (DCLA) consist of material documenting the activities of this organization from its inception in 1894 to the present day. DCLA was established for the purpose of interaction among librarians “interested in library work in Washington City and vicinity, and to further library interests in general.” Material includes minutes, financial records, correspondence, handbooks, publicity materials, organization publications and photographs.
The DC Militia (DC National Guard) descends from the 25th Battalion of the Maryland Militia, headquartered in Georgetown and formed in 1776 to fight in the Revolutionary War. After Congress established the District of Columbia in 1801, local Militia units were reorganized into what became known as the District of Columbia National Guard. The collection consists of three scrapbooks that contain information regarding the DC Militia (National Guard) Engineer Battalion.
Formed by an act of the Congress and signed into law by President Lincoln on August 6, 1861 the Metropolitan Police Department replaced two forces that were largely viewed as inept. The Collection consists of scrapbooks that contain clippings, programs, and photographs documenting the successes and failures of the Metropolitan Police Department.
From 1972 – 1992 D.C. Public Library conducted a total of 29 oral history interviews. Library staff and Washington residents identified participants that had a long association with and/or knowledge of Washington. The library sought to obtain materials regarding persons, neighborhoods, institutions and events that would enlarge the public’s understanding of the history of Washington, D.C. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
From 1998 – 1999 the Historical Society of Washington conducted a total of 40 oral history interviews. Topics include educational experiences, schools attended, and dates of graduation. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The collection consists of multiple bound copies of Tech Life, the newspaper of McKinley High School and copies of newspapers from other Washington, D.C. schools. They are not a complete run.
The Washington, D.C. Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (DCSLA) was founded in 1940 to promote and support librarians working in special library settings. The collection consists of annual reports, Committee reports, newsletters, correspondence, by-laws and constitution, maps, biographical information, a procedures manual, photographs, and long-range planning reports. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
From 1997 to 1999 the D.C. Public Library and Councilmember Hilda Mason’s office jointly sponsored a program, funded by the D.C. Humanities Council, to conduct oral histories of D.C. Statehood movement leaders. The project documents the experiences of 10 important leaders who were part of the founding and growth of the statehood movement. The interviews cover such topics as the early founding of the Statehood Party in the late 1960s; behind-the-scene politics; and events in the 1980s and 1990s surrounding the passage of a statehood referendum, constitutional convention, and decade-long struggle for statehood which ended in defeat. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
Dr. Darrell Clayton Crain Jr. (1910-1995) was a lifelong resident of Washington, D.C., who dedicated 50 years of his life to the practice of medicine. Dr. Crain was a rheumatologist by profession and photographer by hobby. The Dr. Darrell C. Crain Jr. Photograph Collection documents historic events in Washington, D.C. captured by Dr. Crain as well as the national, international and professional travels of Dr. Crain.
Downtown Progress, originally known as the National Capital Downtown Committee, was a non-profit organization of businessmen formed to revitalize downtown from the Capitol to the White House. The collection contains correspondence, meeting minutes, committee reports, memoranda, legal papers, and general office files of the organization. It also contains photographs, sketches, maps, architectural drawings, street diagrams, and slides of buildings and streetscapes located in the downtown urban renewal area.
The Dupont Circle Community Association was formed in May 1922. The goals of the organization were “the advancement of the city’s housing conditions, school betterment, traffic regulations and fair and equitable rates for public service corporations, especially street car fares and electric light rates.” The collection consists of meeting minutes, legal documents, clippings, and correspondence.
From 1984 – 1985 Myra Cherkasky, a George Washington University graduate student, conducted a total of 35 oral history interviews for her masters thesis entitled “Slices of the Pie.” The Columbia Historical Society of Washington, D.C., conducted an additional 12 oral history interviews in the late 1980s. This project is a follow-up to Cherkasky’s initial work and covers the rise of Dupont Circle from the 1920s through the 1950s, providing a continuing perspective on the decline of the Dupont Circle neighborhood in the 1960s and then highlights the reemergence of the area as a residential and cultural center in the 1970s. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Dupont Park Civic Association was founded in the 1960s to combat neighborhood crime and to promote the civic welfare of the community. The primary goals of the charter were neighborhood improvement, property maintenance, and increased police protection. The collection contains correspondence, by-laws of the association, newsletters, and minutes of monthly meetings.
From 1992 – 1993 a total of 12 oral history interviews were conducted through the Eastern Market Oral History Project of which the Washingtoniana division resources for 9 interviews. The goal of the project was to capture the undocumented history of the Eastern Market, the last vestige of the Washington market system, which for more than 100 years played a vital role in the life of the city. The stories told by the families would contribute to a greater public understanding of the important role that public markets played in feeding the city throughout the 19th and early 20th century, providing work and a social gathering place as well as connecting the city and its people to the surrounding countryside. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
Dr. Edward A. Kane (1901-1998) was a biochemist who had worked for the Agriculture Department and was active in the leadership of the Northeast Council of Citizens’ Association and the Health Committee of the D.C. Federation of Citizens’ Association. The records include correspondence, minutes of meetings, newsletters, reports, resolutions, membership lists primarily from the Northeast Council of Citizens’ Association, the Michigan Park Association, and the Health Committee of the Federation of Citizens Associations.
The Emergency Committee on the Transportation Crisis (ECTC) grew out of the efforts of residents in northeast Washington, D.C. and Maryland who in the 1960s began working to prevent government confiscation of homes in their neighborhoods in the path of the freeway. ECTC was particularly active in lobbying public officials and testifying at hearings to prevent the building of the North Central Freeway through the District and before Congress to curtail funding for highway construction. The records consists of correspondence, clippings, government reports, legislative testimony, hearing transcripts, litigation, flyers, posters, cartographic materials, picket signs, press releases, and printed matter. Boxes 1-46 are currently available during the MLK Library closure. For information about the rest of the collection (charts, maps, etc.), please contact the Archivist.
The Farnsboro is located at 2129 Florida Avenue, N.W., and was converted to condominiums in the late 1970s. The Tenants Association was formed in 1975 to negotiate with the landlord regarding rents and maintenance problems at the building. The collection consists of materials produced and obtained by the Tenants Association. It includes clippings, newsletters, petitions, meeting minutes, and correspondence.
In 1910 representatives from 22 established citizens' associations met to form an alliance, Federation of Citizens Associations of the District of Columbia, to represent their combined interests before Congress, the President, and the D.C. government. The Federation has championed a number of interests over its history, including establishment of the Public Utilities Commission, voting rights for D.C. citizens’ congressional representation as well as working on issues affecting transportation, police, fire, fiscal matters, environment, and education in the City. The records consist of financial information, correspondence, meeting minutes, internal memoranda, resolutions, directories, reports, Federation resolutions, and clippings.
The Federation of Civic Associations was founded in 1921 and brought together neighborhood groups to address common citywide or regional concerns. Historically, these civic associations were African-American. The records include the Federation’s constitution, meeting minutes, and newsletters from many of its member civic associations. It also contains correspondence, reports, clippings, programs, invitations, flyers, legislative materials, handwritten notes, and other records, which document the activities of the Federation.
Photos, letters, documents, newspaper clippings, and other genealogical materials.
In 1892 a group of concerned Washington, DC residents joined together to form an organization that they felt would help meet the needs of their neighborhoods. Originally called the Northwest Suburban Citizens Association, the Friendship Citizens Association (FCA) sought to bring new and improved fire stations, police departments, schools, and recreation areas to their neighborhoods. This collection consists of correspondence, programs, newsletters, meeting minutes, resolutions, and other materials related to the Association.
George Washington University, "Evolution of Washington's Italian Community, 1890-1980" Oral History Project
In 1984 George Washington University’s Center for Washington Area Studies conducted oral history interviews of which 3 were donated to the Washingtoniana division. Topics include Italy, immigrating to the United States, parents, arriving and growing up and/or living in Washington, church life, work experience, and the Italian community. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
A variety of documents consisting of DDOT memos, faxes, meeting notes, emails, printed PowerPoint presentations, press clipping/releases, web page printouts, and submitted letters from area businesses impacted by the street project.
Go-Go Music Collection, 1988-2000
The collection consists of clippings, interviews, promotional materials, and audiotapes.
Collection of files assembled by Ms. Bateman while serving as an Georgetown activist in between the years 1989 and 2001. Ms. Bateman has resided in Georgetown for more than 30 years and served on Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E from 1989 through 1992. She also served on several city-wide task forces from 1989 through 2001 and was a founding member of the Georgetown Business Improvement District.
Contains 17 of Mrs. (John Beard) Ecker’s “Old Georgetown” columns that were published weekly in the Georgetown News.
Greg Reynolds was a native of Anacostia and a dancer/choreographer who trained in the District with Erika Thimey and Batya Heller. In 1976, he founded the Greg Reynolds Quintet, a multi-ethnic modern dance company that had its initial performance in Moscow. The Quintet, which lasted until 1984, engaged in a variety of performances, including concerts-in-the-schools, workshops, liturgical dance, and public service events in local, national, and international venues. The collection contains performance programs, playbills, flyers, press releases, newspaper clippings, musical scores, correspondence, and administrative records.
The collection consists of twenty-seven glass plate negatives and corresponding 8x10 black & white prints, dating from circa 1880 thru 1900.
The collection consists of thirty 4x5 black and white photographs each with a corresponding negative. Photographers Anice Hoachlander and Harlan Hambright in 1987 took these images to document buildings on 500 block of 9th Street and the 900 block of E Street in northwest Washington. These buildings were torn down to make way for a larger office building.
Loretta C. Hanes, a resident of Washington, DC, graduated from Miner’s Teacher’s College. She was a DC Public School Teacher for many years and was the Director of DC Reading Is Fundamental (RIF). An activist throughout her adult life, Mrs. Hanes played a significant role in the passing of legislation regarding the maintenance of water and sewer pipes in Washington, DC. This collection consists of correspondence, notes, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, legal records, and legislative materials regarding Mrs. Hanes work with Reading Is Fundamental and the problem with sewage and water pipe breaks in Washington, DC.
Hannah Cayton was a surveyor working for Don’t Tear it Down, “a citizen’s action group working to protect and enhance Washington’s physical environment.” The collection consists of notes, clippings, research resources, correspondence, plat maps, and legal documents.
Harry Goodman (1912–1992) worked as a reporter and photographer from papers in New York City and Philadelphia. In 1933, he moved to Washington, DC and took a job with the Harris and Ewing News Service. He was named an assistant manager at the Washington Star in 1934 and was promoted to manager of the photographic advertising department in 1965. He retired from the Star in 1977, but continued to work as a freelance photographer. The materials in this collection include: photographs of floods in the DC area, photographs of the King of England’s visit to DC, Inaugural parade, ball, and ceremony materials, and historic editions of the Washington Star.
Harry Wender was a practicing attorney in Washington, D.C. and was active in a number of local civic organizations, including the D.C. Federation of Citizens Associations, the Home Rule Committee, and the District of Columbia Suffrage Association. He served as chairman of the D.C. Recreation Board from 1942-1952 and President of the Southwest Citizens’ Association. The collection contains correspondence, internal memoranda, home rule proposals, publicity materials, legislative materials, meeting minutes, editorials, and membership lists primarily concerning efforts in which Mr. Wender was involved to obtain voting rights for the District.
The Hilda H. M. Mason Papers are the files maintained by Mrs. Mason when she was a member of the Board of Education from 1972-1977. As a council member, Mason served as Chairman of the Committee on Education and Libraries. She was also a leader in establishing the District of Columbia School of Law and served as a director of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. The materials include correspondence, memoranda, minutes, notes, reports, studies, ephemera, and some photographs. The papers are arranged alphabetically according to file headings established by Mason's office. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Reverend John L. S. Holloman (1885?-1970) was born in North Carolina and moved to DC in 1917 and became pastor of the Second Baptist Church of Washington, D.C., faithfully serving in that role until his retirement. The papers consist primarily of the correspondence of Reverend Holloman from the 1920s through the 1960s, years in which he served as pastor of the Second Baptist Church of Washington, D.C. Reverend Holloman's handwritten lecture notes and manuscripts of sermons, speeches, and articles are in the collection as well as some records from the Second Baptist church.
Influential Washington, D.C. residents established the Home Rule Committee sometime in 1953. Members testified in Congress, wrote letters to the editors, picketed, and lobbied in support of home rule for the District. The collection consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, congressional testimony, by-laws, pamphlets, a history of the Committee, political pins and stickers, and clippings.
Members of a Washington Times team, in Washington, D.C., conducted a total of 18 oral history interviews of which the Washingtoniana division has cassette tapes for 11 interviews. The project’s team compiled a five-part oral history on Home Rule. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
Hugh Miller (1898?-1979) was born in New York City and moved to Washington DC following his service in World War I as part of an ambulance group, taking a job as a photographer with the news photograph service Underwood and Underwood. He was employed by the Washington Post on two occasions (1921-1929, 1934-1967) and a founding member of the White House Photographers Association. The collection consists of 450 images generally taken around the mid-1920s.
The Ivy City-Trinidad Citizens Association was organized and incorporated in 1911 and added the Trinidad neighborhood in 1953 to its charter. The Association promotes improvement of government services and mutual interests of the residents of the Ivy City-Trinidad neighborhood. Records include the Association's minutes from 1966-1967, a constitution, and other materials collected by the Association.
The collection consists of thirty-one, 4x6 color and photocopied images of the Jackson Place complex, a federal office complex located on the West side of Lafayette Square.
The James Goode Collection consists of photocopies of photographs from which selections were made for Goode's Capital Losses: A Cultural History of Washington's Destroyed Buildings, published in 1979.
J.C. Wilfong, Jr. was an amateur photographer and Historic Preservation activist who fought to protect historic buildings in DC and Maryland. The collection consists of thirty-two, 3”x3” black and white photographs. The images were taken between 1963 and 1965 and are of houses and businesses throughout the District of Columbia, many of which have been demolished.
From 1980 – 1981 the Jewish Historical Society of Washington, D.C., conducted a total of 26 oral history interviews to learn about growing up in Washington in the early years of the 20th century as well as development of the Jewish community. Topics include arriving and settling in Washington, military service, education, businesses and professions, family relationships, synagogues, traditions and customs, and leisure time activities. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
John Hazel (1929-1994) was a lifelong resident of Washington, DC who rose to prominence as a local Union leader and a supporter of the City’s libraries. The collection consists, mainly, of reproductions of materials collected by John Hazel as well as clippings, photographs, and legal documents.
Joseph Owen Curtis (1915-199?) lived most of his life in Southwest Washington, D.C. Curtis’ many images of streets, businesses, and buildings document the architecture and social life of Southwest before the urban renewal of the 1970s. The collection contains approximately 270 black and white prints and 83 slides, the majority of which document the culture, social life, and architecture of Southwest Washington, D.C. in the 1930s through the 1950s. All photographic prints have been digitized and are available on Dig DC.
Julius W. Hobson (1922‑1977) was a civil rights leader whose political career grew out of his grass roots activism in D.C. He worked for equity in public school funding and fair rental housing, opposed D.C. freeways and police brutality, and was a key founder of the D.C. Statehood Party. In the national political arena, Hobson was a leader in major civil rights organizations, an early advocate of black power, and the Vice Presidential candidate on the People’s Party ticket with Dr. Benjamin Spock in 1972. The papers primarily document Julius Hobson’s activist and political activities from the early 1960s until his death in 1977. Included are materials from civil rights organizations that he headed, was involved, or helped found.
Karl Fenning (1881-1963) was practicing attorney and Law Professor at Georgetown University. In 1921 President Harding appointed Fenning Assistant Commissioner of Patents, and in 1925 he was appointed Special Assistant to the Attorney General, a position in which he served until 1928. The collection consists of personal and professional correspondence, professional publications, clippings, genealogical and biographical information, memorabilia and family photographs.
The Latino Youth Community History Project documents the personal histories of members of the Latino community of Washington, D.C. through interviews conducted by high school students from that community from 1981 to 1982. The interviews were recorded on audio cassette tapes which were digitized in the summer of 2015 by DC Public Library Special Collections. Most of the digitized interviews are available in Dig DC; however, some interviews were not published as they are are inaudible due to poor quality recordings and degradation of the original audio cassettes.
The National League of Women Voters (NLWV) was established to educate women on how to vote and to provide information on public issues. On May 26, 1921, a meeting was called in the home of Mrs. Gifford Pinchot to form a District of Columbia branch of the National League of Women Voters. Since its inception, the League’s consistent and primary focus has been to educate and lobby for greater self-government for the citizens of the District of Columbia. The collection contains clippings and alphabetically arranged office files maintained by the League to document its activities. Topics in the records cover primarily local D.C. political issues but also national and international concerns of the National League of Women Voters. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
Lemon G. Hine (1833-1914) was born in Berlin Heights, Ohio. He married Mary Tillinghast in 1861 and the couple moved to Coldwater, Michigan. With the outbreak of the Civil War, Lemon joined the 44th Illinois Infantry, Company B. after participating in western campaigns in Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi, Lemon resigned from the Army with the rank of Lieutenant. Lemon came to Washington to work on Army pension cases and in 1863 the Hine family made Washington, DC their permanent home. Hine was active in various levels of city politics eventually serving as a DC Commissioner. The collection consists of the incoming and outgoing correspondence of both Lemon and Mary Hine. The letters begin in the 1850s and continue to the late 1880s.
The Literary Society of Washington, DC was founded in 1874, for the purpose of literary and artistic improvement. The collection includes invitations, annual programs, the society’s constitution and rules of procedure, and papers read before the society.Dig DC.
The Marilyn Smithson Hodgson School of Dance was established around 1912 and existed as late as 1956. The collection consists primarily of photographs of dancers from the school with some dance programs and clippings about the school’s performance recitals.
The D.C and Federal Holiday Commissions worked to get a federal holiday for Dr. King and publicized efforts to celebrate his accomplishments. The papers consists of memoranda, meeting minutes, reports, press releases, statements, newsletters, clippings, conference packets, and correspondence which document efforts to establish a Martin Luther King Memorial holiday.
Martin Petersilia collected memorabilia about the D.C. arts community and was particularly interested in African-American artists and organizations. The collection consists of programs, invitations, musical scores, correspondence, publicity, photographs, and clippings from arts organizations such as the Greg Reynolds Dance Quintet, The Women’s Arts Center, Momentum Black Theater, and the Nubian League.
Mary E. A. Mitchell is a local photographer and historian who has written several books on Washington, DC. The collection consists of 86 packages of strip negatives. Many of the images were used in her third book, Washington: Portrait of the Capital (1972, Barre Publishers). This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
Mary E. Price was an educator in Washington, DC and a collector of black memorabilia. This collection consists mainly of clippings and programs relating to Howard University in the 1920s and 1930s.
Mary G. Ziegler was a teacher and then principal of Forest Haven, formerly known as the District Training School for almost 40 years. The papers which cover Mrs. Ziegler’s career as an educator of the mentally retarded at the District Training School in Laurel, Maryland which later became Forest Haven School, include photographs of activities and events at the school, publications regarding the training of the mentally retarded, press releases, programs, a newsletter, correspondence, awards, published books, and certificates. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
Written in diary form and titled Memoranda Respecting Servants Washington, D.C., this log records the service of servants (both slave and free) who worked in an unknown Washington, D.C., household between 1833 and 1847.
Dr. Messiah K. King and his wife Bertha King were members of the Metropolitan Baptist Church in Washington, DC. The items in this collection consist of correspondence, church bulletins and programs, a prayer book, and various early twentieth century ephemera.
The collection consists of meeting minutes (1949-1965) and correspondence of the Michigan Park Citizens Association. It also contains a scrapbook of photographs, letters, and other memorabilia about the Michigan Park Garden Club (1951-1973).
In 1993 the Washingtoniana Division conducted a session entitled “Milestone on the Road to Self-Government” in which 5 oral history interviews were conducted as the beginning of a post-World War II Washington documentation project. The pilot project’s goal was to document and interpret the past of a major metropolitan community since the end of World War II. The original audio cassette tape recordings and transcripts of the Milepost to Self-Government have been digitized and are available on Dig DC in their entirety. A biographical summary from the panel event has also been digitized and included. The transcripts and bios have been made full-text searchable using OCR (optical character recognition).
The Monday Evening Club was founded in 1896 and was organized for professional social workers, but by 1898, member ship rules were changed to admit volunteer social workers, and by 1909, the club had become a clearinghouse for those interested in social work. The collection includes yearbooks, club bulletins, invitations to club events, notices of club meetings, clippings, and a scrapbook containing correspondence, clippings, invitations and event programs.
The album contains photographs of male students who attended Mrs. Brown’s School at 3010 O St. in the 1860s (along with numerous 19th century photographs of famous government officials, presidents, cabinet officers, and Civil War officers).
The Mount Pleasant Neighbors Association was organized in 1959 to stabilize, improve, and maintain the community. The specific goals of the charter were to welcome neighbors, promote the safety of the citizens, develop cooperative relationships with other civic associations, stimulate civic consciousness, and combat community deterioration. The collection contains, primarily, correspondence, testimonials, membership guidelines, and information about club activities and campaigns. Historic Mount Pleasant, was created in 1985 and provides a means for community involvement and improvement, its primary concern is the preservation and restoration of the historic buildings and landscape of Mount Pleasant. Items in the collection include membership guidelines and information on the Mount Pleasant Revolving Loan Funds.
Mount Zion United Methodist Church was established in 1816 and is the first black Methodist church founded in Washington DC. The collection consists of forty-four 3x5 and four 8x10 prints of the Mount Zion United Methodist Church’s Community House.
The National Ballet was founded in 1962 and presented more than a thousand performances in Washington, D.C. and cities throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico. In 1974 the Company disbanded due to financial problems. The records consist of trustee minutes, programs, advertisements, press releases, clippings, biographical files, promotional materials, and scrapbooks regarding the promotion and administration of the Ballet. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The National Rifles, an independent company of the D.C. Militia, was organized in 1859 and was the first company of citizen troops from Washington DC ordered into the Civil War in 1861. A few years after the War, the militia disbanded or merged with other troops. Members of the company formed a veteran’s organization to hold annual reunions, fairs, soirees, dinners, and other events to commemorate the anniversary of their founding and military service. The scrapbooks contain clippings, invitations, programs, memorabilia, handwritten and typewritten letters, ledgers, receipts, meetings minutes, and a few copies of Canteen, the daily record of the National Rifles.
Nation’s Business was a periodical published monthly by the United States Chamber of Commerce from 1912 until 1999. The collection consists of 333 historic images from events and life in Washington, DC from the 1920s to the 1980s.
The materials in this collection consist mainly of topical files compiled by Neighbors, Inc. from the late 1950s to the early 1990s. Included in the materials are pamphlets, clippings, correspondence, photographs, brochures, and newsletters items relating to neighborhood associations, religious organizations, political organizations and government reports. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Northeasterners were organized in 1930 mainly by college-educated and socially prominent black women throughout the eastern United States. The group was originally known as the Gay Northeasterners. The papers consist of correspondence, by-laws of the organization, meeting minutes, financial reports, a short history, member information, and photographs.
The Shaw neighborhood is the area around 14th and U Streets NW. Topics include history of the interviewees’ role in the neighborhood during their youth, parents, segregation, community services, and other observations made during childhood. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
This collection consists of newspaper clippings, emails, and Sluby’s notes on various cemeteries in Washington, DC. Files are arranged alphabetically by cemetery name, followed by cemetery-related topics.
Paul P. Cooke (1917- 2010) was born in New York City, but moved at an early age to Washington, D.C. after completing his education Cooke became a professor of English at Miner Teachers College. In 1962 he became the third Dean of D.C. Teachers College (formerly Miner Teachers College) and first African-American to hold the job. After retiring in 1974, Dr. Cooke continued to write and speak widely about the history of Washington DC. The papers contain a series of bibliographical notes prepared by Mr. Cooke of his lectures, addresses, remarks, and speeches as well as his copies of dramatic scripts, articles and other writings. The papers also include reports, clippings, and programs regarding the Miner Teachers College, Xi Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, the Washington Chapter of the Union for Democratic Action, and desegregation in the District of Columbia in the 1950s. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Petworth Women’s Club was formed in 1914 at the home of Mrs. Harriet Hill and was established to promote the best interests of the Petworth neighborhood. Six sections were eventually formed, including civic, educational, literature, home, philanthropic, music and art to choose appropriate social, educational, or philanthropic activities for its members. The collection contains programs, yearbooks, meeting minutes, reports, membership lists, correspondence, and receipts which document the activities of the Petworth Women’s Club.
The Political Study Club of the District of Columbia was organized in 1899. The club was originally an afternoon suffrage club, but after the adoption of the 19th Amendment, the objective became “the study of the United States government in its home and foreign relations (non-partisan).” The collection consists of yearbooks, annual breakfast programs and clippings.
The Poor People's Campaign was a 1968 effort to gain economic justice for poor people in the United States. It was organized by Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The Campaign demanded economic and human rights for poor Americans of diverse background. After presenting an organized set of demands to Congress and executive agencies, participants set up a 3000-person tent city on the Washington Mall, where they stayed for six weeks. The contents of this collection include: correspondence, flyers, memorabilia, newsletters, newspaper clippings, newsletters, poems, and songs.
In 1965, the Brookland Civic Association ceded the area bounded by Sargent Road, N.E., Eastern Avenue, Michigan Avenue, N.E., and South Dakota Avenue, N.E., to the newly formed Queen’s Chapel Civic Accusation. The group’s goal was to “work for the betterment of our area and the community at large in the following ways: presentation of informative speakers; publication of the ‘Civic Seer;’ maintaining close relationships with the 5th District, the DC Federation of Civic Associations, and with schools.” The collection consists of meeting minutes, administrative materials, community newsletters and announcements, correspondence, and legal documents.
From 1976 – 1981 the Schlesinger Library of Radcliffe College in Cambridge, Massachusetts, conducted over 70 oral history interviews on African American women of which 8 were donated to the Washingtoniana division. Topics include family background, childhood history, husbands and children, parental attitudes, socioeconomic status, education and training, significant influences affecting career choice or daily activity, professional and voluntary accomplishments, and their perception of the effect of race and sex on their lives. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
Three pre-printed and manuscript bills of lading for barrels of flour.
The photo album contains 140 black and white prints and 59 negatives; the majority of the photographs are of noteworthy events and locations in the Washington DC metro area. Although all photographs are undated, based on the style of clothing, model of automobiles and city landmarks, the images date from between circa 1925 and 1935.
Samuel Hay Kauffmann was born in 1829, and in 1867 he purchased an interest in the Washington Evening Star and was elected its president in 1868. He was president of the newspaper from 1868-1879 and again from 1886 until his death in February 1906. The Collection consists of approximately 80 photographs ca. 1840-1916 of Samuel Hay Kauffmann (1829-1906), his daughter, Louise Kauffmann Simpson (1869-1930), his son, Victor Kauffmann, Victor’s wife, Jessie Christopher Kauffmann, and their children, Philip Christopher Kauffmann and Samuel Hay Kauffmann. Collection is mostly portrait photographs, including a daguerreotype, tintypes, albumen cartes-de-visite and cabinet cards, gelatin silver developing out paper, and platinum prints.
Mrs. Sarah E. Ellis became a citizen activist after urban renewal forced her in 1959 to relocate the restaurant started by her late husband, Cy Ellis, from Southwest Washington, D.C. She was again forced to move from a second location at E Street, N.W., when metro began construction there in the 1960s. Her ten-year fight in the courts and Congress helped establish the "priority law" which requires that long-established businesses can use the "grandfather" clause to avoid relocation in urban renewal areas. he papers contain correspondence, clippings, meeting minutes, reports, and pamphlets of local issues and citizens organizations in which Mrs. Ellis was involved.
Self-Determination for D.C. Coalition was the result of the adoption of a resolution in January 1971 by Americans for Democratic Action calling for the formation of a national coalition to promote home rule and D.C. Congressional voting representation. The Coalition was instrumental in lobbying for and campaigning for home rule legislation in the early 1970s and a Constitutional Amendment providing for congressional representation in Congress from 1978 through the early 1980s. The collection consists of office files documenting the Coalition's activities in support of home rule and voting rights for D.C.
From 1993 – 1997 Service Workers and SEIU Local 82 conducted a total of 13 oral history interviews as part of a Service Worker’s Oral History and Education Project. Topics primarily focused on the interviewees’ union experiences.
The collection consists of eighty-four 8x10 images that detail the construction of the District’s Sewage Disposal Plant between 1903 and 1906. The plant, which is still in operation, is located at the foot of New Jersey Avenue near the corner of 2nd and N Streets in Southeast Washington.
Mrs. Francis A. Gregory proposed the development of a genealogical collection to document the history of certain prominent African-American families in Washington, D.C. history. The collection consists of the Shaed and Baltimore family papers as well materials regarding Elzie Hoffman. It includes photographs, programs, published books, biographies, letters, certificates, dairies, scrapbooks, clippings, and other family memorabilia.
The Shubert Theatres were owned by the Shubert Brothers (Lee, Sam and Jacob) of New York. In Washington, DC, from the 1910s to the 1930s, the Shubert’s managed the Garrick Theatre, the Belasco Theatre and Poli’s Theatre. This collection consists of five bound volumes of financial records from the Shubert Garrick Theatre and the Shubert Belasco Theatre. These records show the expenses and financial reports for various productions from 1918 to 1934.
Sidney F. Taliaferro (1885-1971) received his law degree from Georgetown University and earned a respected reputation representing railroad companies. In 1926 he was appointed D.C. Commissioner by President Calvin Coolidge and served until 1930 when he resigned to join the Riggs National Bank as a vice president and trust officer until he retired in 1950. The scrapbooks consist primarily of clippings that highlight Mr. Taliaferro’s activities while he was Commissioner of the District from 1926-1930.
The 1820 U.S. Census indicates that Broom had one slave between age 14 and under 26. Broom died in July of 1828 and was buried in a walnut casket, location unknown. Livers was born between 1752 and 1762. He died Jan. 7, 1821 and was also buried in a walnut casket, location unknown.
The collection consists of over 2000 35mm slides assembled from various donors and locations throughout the department. The images range from circa 1820 thru 1987 and cover a wide array of subjects and people. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The South of U Collection Oral History Project gathers first-hand accounts of Washington D.C.’s Shaw neighborhood from individuals who lived there during and after the historic 1968 riots. The collection consists of video interviews with ten people who discuss their experiences of the effects of the riots on the neighborhood and community and the culture of U Street and Shaw, both past and present. All existing video interviews and full transcripts for the South of U Oral History Project are available in Dig DC.
From 1983 – 1985 a total of 33 oral history interviews were conducted for the film project Southwest Remembered: A Story of Urban Renewal. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
From 1976 – 1979 St. Alban’s Parish, in Washington, D.C., conducted over 100 oral history interviews of which 80 were from distinct individuals. This projected conducted listening interviews in which older people were asked to review their lives and to pass on to others whatever they wished to share of their experience. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
From 1992 – 1993 Iona Senior Services of St. Mary’s Court sponsored a class entitled “Never to Old to Learn” in which students from the class conducted a total of 6 oral history interviews. St. Mary’s Court is a senior residence facility in Foggy Bottom located 725 – 24th Street NW, Washington, D.C.
In 1979 a Statehood Initiative was presented to D.C. residents for a vote to approve legislation that would begin a concerted effort to make the District a state. The Statehood Initiative won approval on November 4, 1980 and became the first public referendum passed in the City's history. The final enabling legislation, D.C. Law 3-171, as amended D.C. Code Sec. 1-115(b) (1987)), provided for the creation of two commissions -- the D.C. Statehood Commission and the D.C. Compact Commission. The Statehood Commission was to "educate, promote, and advance the proposition of statehood for the District of Columbia in the District and elsewhere." Materials in this collection consist of records of the D.C. Statehood/Compact Commission from 1978 through 1994 that document its activities to promote and educate the public on statehood as well as research on methods for achieving statehood in the District.
The Collection consists of 45 Stereoviews depicting various scenes and persons from the District of Columbia. Stereoviews, also called Stereo Cards or Stereotypes, are two nearly identical card-mounted images placed side by side, which when viewed through a stereo viewer or stereograph give the image a three dimensional effect. They were very popular from 1854 through the mid-1930s and often illustrate historic and exotic locations.
The collection consists of programs, annual reports, brochures and other materials related to Washington, D.C., theatres. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The collection consists of yearbooks, monthly bulletins, by-laws, printed programs, histories of the Club, a few items regarding membership and fundraising, and a handwritten ledger recording the celebration in 1940 of the 50th anniversary of the Club’s founding.
The United Brick Company built the kilns around 1909, and at its peak produced over 140,000 bricks a day. The brickyard made its last brick in 1972 and the site was abandoned. In 1977 the National Arboretum purchased the land and in October of 1978 the United Brick Corporation brick complex was added to the National Registry of Historic Places. The collection consists of eighty-five 4x6 and 3.5x5 color images of the abandoned United Brick Company buildings and kilns.
The National Society of the United States Daughters of 1812 is a society that aims to promote patriotism, preserve and increase the knowledge of the early American people, and emphasize the heroic deeds of those who molded the government between the end of the American Revolution and the period of the War of 1812. The collection consists of Yearbooks, By-Laws, clippings, and a banquet invitation and program.
Included in this scrapbook are programs and clippings relating to life in Washington, DC during the 1940s and 1950s.
Primarily contains recordings of two weekly shows, Metro Connection and the D.C. Politics Hour, which date from April of 1998 to the current date. Metro Connection airs Friday afternoons and Saturday morning and covers current news, history, personalities, neighborhoods, events, and human interest stories in the local Washington-metro area. The D.C. Politics Hour began as a weekly one-hour segment of the Derek McGinty, former host of a two-hour afternoon talk show on WAMU. The show invites reporters and columnists from the metro area to discuss among themselves, invited political figures, and the call-in audience current D.C. political issues. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Washington Academy of Sciences was born out of a joint commission of the various scientific societies in the city of Washington, DC. In 1897, the joint commission studied the usefulness of creating a federation of all societies. This collection consists of by-laws, directories, journals, clippings, rules, and programs from the Washington Academy of Sciences.
The Washington Area Performing Arts Video Archives or WAPAVA for short, was founded in 1991 when Jim Taylor, a former city planner and actor, identified a limitation inherent in all live performance: it exists only in the memory of the audience. He then decided that some form of performance archive was needed to document Washington theatre. The mission of WAPAVA is to build a professional videotape archive of theatre, dance and other live performance as an educational and artistic resource not only for the Washington area, but internationally, as well. Please contact the Archivist for information about accessing this collection.
In 1893 at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago the first souvenir “post cards” were available for purchase in the United States. Besides depicting images of places that may no longer exist, postcards often contain messages offering documentation representative of a time and place. From observations of historic events to matters of personnel concern, insights are given into the life and times of the postcard's sender. The Collection consists of over 2000 postcards and postcard folders that document various tourist and local attractions throughout the city. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
From 1979 – 1981 the Strayer College in Washington, D.C., conducted approximately 24 oral history interviews. The project chronicles Metropolitan area businesspersons and their families. Interviewees were asked open-ended questions on subjects such as founding and development of the business; family involvement in the business (past, present and future); evaluation of local government, financial, and trade association services; involvement in civic and charitable activities; loyalty to the Washington area; and self-assessment of their choice to be an independent business owner. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Washington Housing Association was originally organized in 1933 as the Washington Committee on Housing to improve housing for low-income residents in the District. The Association fought for a sound housing code, to insure construction of low-rent housing, and encourage landlord responsibility to tenants. WHA became the Washington Planning and Housing Association in 1962 and later the Metropolitan Washington Planning and Housing Association. In the 1960s the Association assisted residents dislocated by urban renewal, freeway construction, and downtown development. Find affordable housing. The records contain primarily monthly reports and newsletters of WHA from 1953 through 1961.
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) or Metro was formed in 1966 and ground was broken on the first station, Judiciary Square, in 1969 with the 4.2 mile Phase 1 opening to the public in 1976. The collection consists of twenty-five 8x10 and 5x7 black and white prints that illustrate the construction of various subway stations and tunnels throughout the city.
The Washington Music Teachers’ Association was founded in 1934 with an objective of “the promotion of the professional interests of the Music Teachers of Washington and its vicinity, by encouraging good fellowship in the profession, advancing the base of sound musical instruction, by clarifying ethical problems and furthering the general musical activities of the community.” The materials in this collection consist of newsletters, correspondence, photographs, clippings, programs, and ballots. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The collection includes two (2) LPs, in four (4) parts, of the dedication performance and a book of the dedication ceremony of the Gloria in Excelsis Tower at the National Cathedral, including sheet music. The Tower’s construction began in 1910 and was completed and dedicated in 1964. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
The Washington Navy Yard was established in 1799 and is one of the Navy’s oldest shore establishments. The collection consists of thirty-one 3.5x5 and thirty 8x10 images of buildings 137 (General Foundry) and 167 (Boiler Makers shop) in the Washington Naval Yard complex.
The Washington Star, previously known as the Washington Star-News and the Evening Star, was a daily afternoon newspaper published in Washington DC between 1852 and 1981. For most of that time, it was the city's newspaper of record. The papers consist of a variety of material formats. These materials were gathered over 130 years of the newspaper’s service to the city of Washington. The materials reflect the day-to-day operations of the Star, the publishing of the newspaper and other materials, the leadership changes of the Star, labor disputes, marketing reports, historical materials, and other topical files and reports.
W. Bryant Tyrrell (1895-1967) was a photographer and lecturer on nature. His photographs appeared in the Washington Post, the Washington Evening Star, National Geographic, and the London Illustrated News. He was the founder and President of the Takoma Park Nature Society. The collection consists of newspaper clippings, notes, photographs, and slides.
From 1979 – 1985 WETA 26, public television station for Washington, Maryland, and Virginia, conducted a total of 56 “luncheon series” oral history interviews on audiotape of which the Washingtoniana division has resources available for 48. Topics include life and work experiences of selected individuals. This collection is currently unavailable and will be accessible after further processing.
Local advertising women organized The Women’s Advertising Club of Washington in April 1943 to educate, support, and further the advertising careers of D.C. women. The Club received its charter from the Advertising Federation of America the same year. The collection consists of board meeting minutes, annual reports, treasurer reports, financial records, clippings, and photographs from the Club’s records.
The Washington Women’s Art Center was established in 1975 to provide a place for Washington, D.C. women to show their work, improve their artistic skills, and develop their artistic professionalism. The collection contains general administrative files that include correspondence, Board meeting minutes, annuals reports, contracts, insurance policies, and grant files.
Founded in 1919, the Women’s City Club of Washington, DC strove to be a group that hoped to attract not only women in the academic and professional sphere but housewives as well. The charter called for a better understanding among women, and a place for women to meet and socialize. The collection contains by-laws, annual reports, monthly bulletins, programs, and yearbooks.
The Women's City Club was founded in 1919 and was the first local club for women with a meetinghouse. The Club took positions on issues such as home rule, women's suffrage, and abolition of capital punishment. The collection consists primarily of minutes of Club meetings from 1919 through 1972. Also included are scrapbooks, photographs, clippings, and administrative records which document the Club's founding and activities.
The YWCA of Washington, DC was organized in 1905 and by the end of its first year has 193 members. The mission of the YWCA was “to provide employment, housing, and moral development for young women,” but over the years it has expanded to include programs for men, women and children in all areas of health, fitness, education, career training, youth programs and the arts. The collection consists of clippings, pamphlets, promotional materials, and organizational information.
Back to Special Collections Homepage