Dr. Arthur A. Snyder Personal Receipts and Georgetown Assembly Collection, 1878-1897
Collection No. 57
No record indicates a donor or when these materials were acquired by the Peabody Room.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This small collection (one box) contains seven files arranged chronologically by year (1878-1899) of business receipts issued to Arthur A. Snyder. Additionally, nine files arranged chronologically by season (1885-1897) contain business records and ephemera related to the Georgetown Assembly, of which Snyder was secretary.
The Georgetown Assembly materials were originally in scrapbook format but the majority of ephemera pieces had become unattached from their original backing pages and had been consolidated into an unorganized pile. Individual pieces have been arranged by season (November thru February of paired years). Backing pages have been retained that still have attached pieces as have all backing pages with annotations.
Dr. Arthur M. Snyder (June 6, 1857 – May 15, 1948) was Georgetown native and surgeon who practiced at Garfield Memorial Hospital from the early 1890s to his retirement in 1938. Born in the family home at 3051 N Street NW, his parents were Dr. John Marshall Snyder and Sophie Tayloe Snyder.
Dr. Snyder attended Episcopal High School, Alexandria, VA, and the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA. His medical internship was served in New York City. His Washington, DC practice of over four decades was interrupted only once when he served with the Medical Corps in Cuba during the Spanish-American War (1898). He is buried in Georgetown’s Oak Hill Cemetery (Lot #608).
The Georgetown Assembly was (and remains) a social dance organization. According to “A Brief History of The Georgetown Assembly” written in 1989 by Lucy Marbury Blundon and reprinted in Nichols Donnell Ward’s 2016 book “Dancing Across the Years: The History of the Georgetown Assembly” (793.3097 WARD):
“Legend has it that sometime between 1880 and 1885 a more-or-less permanent arrangement was made by the young bachelors of Georgetown to put on three dances a year in appreciation for favors and invitations [from young ladies] that they were unable to return….About the year 1885, two or three of the young men of the town in discussing the situation, reached the conclusion that the creation of a permanent organization of citizens, young and old, of the entire Town, for the purpose of giving dances at specified intervals in the future would add greatly to the social life of the Town.”
According to manuscript materials in this collection, the first meeting of The Georgetown Assembly was held on November 18, 1885 at the office of Dr. Snyder (3051 N Street NW), who served as the organization’s secretary. The first Georgetown Assembly dance was held at Linthicum Hall (3116 O Street, NW, constructed 1887) on December 13, 1888.
1948, May 16, “Dr. Snyder, Retired D.C. Surgeon, Dies,” Evening Star.
2003, October 30, “Then & Again,” by Jerry A. McCoy, Georgetowner.
Potomac Boat Club, Georgetown, DC (2)
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (3)
C. H. Harmaan, Stage Yard, Livery, Feed and Sale Stables, Charlottesville, VA (2)
John Hunter, Ladies’ and Gentlen’s Boots and Shoes, 1731 PA. Ave., Washington, DC
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (2)
J. L. Keller, Drug, Medicines, Paints, Oils, Fancy Articles, Charlottesville, VA
M. Kaufman [clothing], Charlottesville, VA
L. W. Cox, Carriages, Buggies, Wagons and Harness, Charlottesville, VA
P. Drane, Photographer, Charlottesville, VA
Mrs. L. Dusenbury [board], New York City [Louisa Dusenbury, widow John, 360 W. 27th Street per New York, New York 1883]
Dr. John A. Wyeth, 36 W. 33rd St., New York City
Dr. C. H. A. Kleinschmidy, 3113 N Street, Washington, DC
S. S. Nueces [steam ship returning from Santiago, Cuba]
Deeble & Co., Brokers, 1319 F Street NW, Washington, DC
Six manuscript pages that offer a timeline of the organization’s history.
Unknown season years.
Dates of Assemblies (arranged by season):
4/15/90 (“Gentlemen’s German”)
Prepared by Jerry A. McCoy
DC Public Library
Georgetown Branch Library
3260 R Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Back to Special Collections Homepage