Anacostia Library

Anacostia Library

Opened April 26, 2010

The first library building constructed for the Anacostia community opened in 1956The 1956 building, designed by Merrill A. Coe, was replaced in 2010 with a new library designed by the Freelon Group.  The opening took place on April 26, 2010. 

Exterior of the new Anacostia Library

Children


Ribbon Cutting Ceremony





































Quick Facts

Services and Features:

  • Separate spaces for adults, teens and children
  • 40,000 books, CDs, DVDs, and other library materials
  • Children’s program room
  • Comfortable seating for 200 customers
  • 40 public access computers and free Wi-Fi Internet access
  • Mobile laptop cart with 20 computers
  • A large programming room for up to 100 people
  • Two conference rooms to for up to 14 people
  • Five quiet study rooms for one to two people
  • Public Art by Ward 7 artists

Awards and Certifications:

  • The American Institute of Architects North Carolina Research Triangle Chapter Merit Award, Unbuilt Category 2008 and 2009
  • The American Institute of Architects North Carolina Committee on the Environment 2010
  • Washington Building Congress Craftsmanship Award for Special Construction – Thermal and Moisture Protection Category 2011
  • The American Institute of Architects DC Chapter Merit Award 2012
  • The American Library Association/IIDA Honor Award, Projects Under 30,000 SF 2012
  • LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) "Gold" Certification for environmentally sustainable design from the U.S. Green Building Council.
The Anacostia Neighborhood Library is located at 1800 Good Hope Rd SE.