Arts & Exhibits: Square 0375 - A Walk Around the Block
Square 375 is the block where the Martin Luther King Jr. Library now sits. When D.C. was first laid out by Pierre L’Enfant in 1791, the land held one large house and a family graveyard. By 1887, it was mostly rowhouses, divided east-to-west by G Place. Over time, the block also included two different orphanages, a mausoleum, a public school, a medical school, several churches and small retail stores. By 1960 many of the older buildings had been replaced by larger retail and office buildings, much like the neighborhood surrounding the Library today.
This exhibit is a collection of images highlighting some of the history of square 0375. The images included come from the collections of the DC History Center, Library of Congress and the People’s Archive.
View the images below.