Favorite Neighborhood Spot: Old Stone House
What's made of stone and centuries old? The Old Stone House located on M St. NW is the oldest unaltered building in D.C. It was built around 1765-1766 when D.C. wasn’t D.C. yet but instead Maryland. For decades it was thought that the Old Stone house was formerly Suter’s Tavern, a local inn that George Washington once stayed in. This has since been disproven (a different GW stayed at the inn), but regardless the protection of the building has contributed to its history.
The building has three floors. The first floor includes a kitchen and fireplace. Originally the building was only the first floor but eventually, the owners decided to expand to have two more. The second floor includes the dining room, parlor and bedroom. The dining room also includes a clock built by John Suter Jr. (the son of the owner of Suter’s Tavern) -- the clock is the only original piece of furniture in the building. The third floor was never finished but includes children's rooms and space for storage.
One book, Haunted Places by Dennis William Hauck, details several ghosts that frequent the house including, but not limited to, a girl that often plays on the steps and a murderer named George. In addition, an editor at WTOP reports hearing a ghost during his stay at the Old Stone House.
The Old Stone House isn’t limited to ghost lovers, it’s age and its unique history make it an ideal visiting spot during a nice day downtown. The house was privately owned as a car dealership until 1953 when the government bought the house for $90,000. After this, the house was officially open to the public in 1960, with the building protected under the National Register of Historic Places (National Park Service).
The Old Stone House is still open during quarantine from 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. Georgetown has a plethora of activities and sights, and this house is a standout!
- Empire of Mud (J.D. Dickey) - for more D.C. history
- The Haunting of Hill House (Shirley Jackson) - for more ghosts