Returning to the Library
Library ServicesAs libraries open in phases, there will be limits on the services offered in each phase. Our goal is to gradually offer more services as health restrictions are relaxed. As each library will require some reconfiguration in order to accommodate the need to social distance, these services may look differently at each library based on the location’s space layout. Additionally, some of the public spaces in libraries may be needed as staff space to ensure materials are handled safely and staff can social distance. Further, the Library continues to offer robust virtual services and programming throughout the phases on the library’s website and through Facebook and YouTube.
The Library is currently open for limited in-person services. You can visit our open libraries to:
- Return materials
- Pick up a hold
- Check out display items
- Have a book pulled from the stacks
- Get a library card
- Manage your library account
- Receive print, copy and scan services
- Sign-up to use a limited number of computers for a 45-minute session once per day or one 15 minute express session per hour
- Use the bathroom
Customers will not have access to:
- Browse the collection
- Sit and read/study/work at a table or lounge area
- Read magazines and newspapers
- Use meeting or study rooms
- Attend in-person programs or events
Hours and Locations
Anacostia, Bellevue, Benning, Capitol View, Chevy Chase, Cleveland Park, Francis A. Gregory, Georgetown, Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, Mt. Pleasant, Northeast, Palisades, Petworth, Shaw, Shepherd Park, Tenley-Friendship, West End and Woodridge libraries are currently open.
Monday - Friday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Closed daily 2 – 3 p.m. for cleaning