Route 1 Reads
For the third consecutive year, the DC Public Library will participate in the Route One Reads initiative, a program under the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress. In 2017, the theme of the initiative is memoirs and biographies, and the selected book to represent the District is Around the Way Girl: A Memoir by Taraji P. Henson.
About the Book: DC native and Hollywood superstar Taraji P. Henson recounts her rise to fame as the star of Empire and Hidden Figures. Henson is both funny and direct as she shares stories of her childhood and family life in Southeast DC, her student days at Howard University, and her journey to stardom.
About Route 1 Reads: Connecting the 2,369 miles of U.S. Route 1 from Ft. Kent, Maine, to Key West, Florida, the Route One Reads initiative is a partnership between 16 affiliate Centers for the Book to promote books that illuminate important aspects of their states or commonwealths for readers traveling the major and meandering highway. The initiative was launched at the 2015 National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
Still thinking about what to tackle for summer reading? Route 1 Reads selections will keep you reading all summer long.
- Maine - Here if You Need Me by Kate Breastrup
- New Hampshire - Kookooland by Gloria Norris
- Massachusetts - Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon by Larry Tye
- Rhode Island - American Jezebel by Eva LaPlante
- Connecticut - The Logbooks by Anne Farrow
- New York - Hamilton by Ron Chernow
- Pennsylvania - The Life and Times of Mary Vaux Walcott by Marjorie G. Jones
- New Jersey - Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
- Delaware - Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
- Maryland - Robert Lowell, Setting the River on Fire: a Study of Genius, Mania, and Character by Kay Redfield Jamison
- Washington, D.C. - Around the Way Girl: A Memoir by Taraji P. Henson
- Virginia - Sing for Your Life: a Story of Race, Music, and Family by Daniel Bergner
- North Carolina - Dimestore by Lee Smith
- South Carolina - The Other Mother: A Rememoir by Teresa Bruce
- Georgia - Blood, Bone, and Marrow: A Biography of Harry Crews by Ted Geltner
- Florida - Wrapped in Rainbows: The Life of Zora Neale Hurston by Valerie Boyd