Kids Summer Challenge
During the summer, help your child stay motivated to read and learn with the Library. Incorporate reading for just 20 minutes a day into your family’s routine to help ensure your child returns to school in the fall ready to learn! Summer is also a great time to show your child the joy of reading, helping them grow as life-long learners.
Read20 All Summer Long
This summer the library challenges you to #Read20 for a chance to win fun prizes sponsored by the DC Public Library Foundation.
- June Prize: A new book of your choice.
- July Prize: A chance to win a $25 Gift Card to Politics and Prose
- August Grand Prize: A chance to win a $50 Gift Card to Labyrinth Game Shop
Click here to get started by registering for the 2021 Summer Challenge.
Super Readers (Children 6-12)
Children 6-12 who log reading for 10 hours in August will be entered into a raffle for a chance to a $25 gift card to library partner Politics and Prose sponsored by the DC Public Library Foundation. Click here to get started by registering for the 2021 Summer Challenge.
Read, Listen, Watch and Learn
The library has exciting reads for every age and every interest that you can check out from your neighborhood library or access on a mobile device or computer.
- The Library’s Books For Kids page lets you browse some of our most recommended titles by age and grade range to find great books for your child.
- Download our eBooks and Audiobooks for your child before a road trip and kiss the phrase “Are we there yet?” goodbye!
- Bring your child’s favorite stories to life with our Video Story Books.
- What are the Washington Wizards Reading? Find out and join them in fun family reading time with the Washington Wizards Book of the Month!
- Excited that baseball season is back? So are we! Check out great Baseball Reads for Preschool Children and Families.
The Library is hosting virtual events throughout the summer with your family’s favorite performers and activities. See what is coming up online!
Virtual Story Time
Weekdays, 10:30 a.m. | Virtual Story Time
Every Other Thursday at 1 p.m. | Baby Yoga
Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2 p.m. | Music, Movement and Feelings with 123 Andrés and Special Guest Mark Wong
Tuesday, July 13, 10:30 a.m. | The Uncle Devin Show