#UncensoredDC Banned Book Scavenger Hunt
This September, join DC Public Library for its second annual #UncensoredDC banned book scavenger hunt!Starting Tuesday, September 5, banned books will be hidden throughout the entire city at local libraries, cafes, restaurants, bars, bookstores, galleries and museums. The theme for this year's scavenger hunt is "Texts Against Tyranny" so the titles included in the hunt represent dystopian tales. These books have been wrapped in special black covers featuring an iconic quote from the novel.
Here's what you need to know to participate in the hunt!
- Location clues will be announced every day from September 5 - September 30. Tune in to WAMU's Morning Edition for daily riddles. You can also follow along on our social media platforms using #UncensoredDC. Daily clues will be posted to our -
- You can win awesome prizes just for finding books! In addition to keeping the discovered books, participants can win prizes such as free tickets to the Newseum, gift certificates to local restaurants, free tickets to our UNCENSORED Underground party, and so much more. All you have to do is a post a photo of the discovered book to social media using #UncensoredDC.
- 15 books will be "golden ticket" books. Those who discover golden ticket books can automatically win a pair of free tickets to the UNCENSORED Underground party on September 30th once they post a photo of the book using #UncensoredDC.
The evening will include -
- Banned book-themed cocktails created by D.C.'s best local bartenders
- Live musical performances by D.C. bands
- Provocative art installations designed by local artists
- Maker crafts led by DC Public Library librarians
- Pop-up market with Made in DC businesses
- And so much more