Winter Challenge 2023
This winter the DC Public Library and Washington Wizards invite your family to stay active and engaged with Winter Challenge! From Jan. 3 - Mar. 31, children and teens (Ages 5-19) can sign up and earn badges that encourage reading for fun, joining library events, sharing and connecting with the library community, and finding fun ways to be physically active. Winter Challenge is a great way to find healthy habits that your family will love and can add to your routine all year round.
Train your brain and body like a Washington Wizards player. Players train nearly every day with their teammates to be ready for the big game, but they also work hard off the court to create healthy habits like taking time out of their day to read, move and make healthy choices. As a student, you also are working hard in school! Winter Challenge is here to help you think like a Washington Wizard by finding ways to read, move and connect each day.
- Reading: While traveling for an away game, many players may find time to read a book or listen to an audiobook on a plane ride. Can you add 20 minutes of reading a day to your routine to build your reading skills?
- Moving: To perform at high levels the Wizards players practice their skills on the court. But they also do what we call "crosstraining" where they find other ways to move their body with sports like cycling and yoga. Can you think of fun ways to stay active and move your body?
- Connecting: Players connect with their teammates, their coaches, their friends, their families and even their fans each day, sharing what they are experiencing and learning. How can you share with others in your life about the things you are reading about or doing each day?
Pick up your Winter Challenge gameboard at your Neighborhood Library or sign up online with Beanstack. If you have participated in past reading programs, you can log in to your account with your username and password. We encourage you to make sure your email is up to date as that is how the library and the Wizards will notify you about prizes.
Having trouble registering in Beanstack? Email us or contact your neighborhood library.
Earn Badges with the Library
Earn your very first badge by registering for Winter Challenge and then hit the court running by completing activities. You can mark them complete in Beanstack or color them in on your paper gameboard.
But don't worry, you're not alone, you're on the Winter Challenge team! We have everything you need to help you earn your Winter Challenge badges. Check out the Winter Challenge Playbook below to learn more.
You did it, congrats! Completing Winter Challenge is a big success in and of itself! If you have earned all your badges in Beanstack there is nothing more you need to do. You are in the running for a Winter Challenge Prize. If you participated with a paper gameboard, drop off your completed board at your neighborhood library or take a picture of both sides of your gameboard and email it to email@example.com by Mar. 31.
All participants who complete Winter Challenge will be put in the running for a Washington Wizards Family Prize Pack or tickets to a special Winter Challenge Washington Wizards Game! You will be notified of your win by email so please ensure that your gameboard and/or Beanstack account are up to date.
Washington Wizards Book of the Month
The library has teamed up with the Wizards to select some great books with the Wizards Book of the Month.
Books About Basketball
We have also shared some of our favorite basketball reads.
|Ages 5-8||Ages 9-12||Ages 13 - 19|
Learn About Different Ways to Move Your Body
- Check out basketball drills with Wizards Basketball Academy Training Videos
- Learn about different kinds of sports with Just for Kids Access Video.
- Visit your neighborhood library.
- Find fun events for all ages and interests near you on the library's calendar.
- Follow the library on social media and join in the conversation online!
Looking for more family resources? Whether you are looking for homework help for kids or teens, want to learn how to incorporate healthy screentime into your routine or you'd just like to chat with one of our expert staff, we are here for you! Stop by your closest neighborhood library or visit us anytime online to learn more.
Participate in Winter Challenge in