Art is a powerful tool to share social messages and inspire change. Visual artists like Shepard Fairey, musicians like Beyonce and authors like Mira Jacob have used their creative voices to speak truth to power and raise awareness of the important issues facing us today. Pepco, the DC Public Library Foundation and DC Public Library invite you to find your power and use it to creatively address a topic that is important to you. What change would you like to see in the world? We are calling on youth between the ages of 13 - 19 to use their creative voice to make a difference.
We are excited to share the results of the 2023 Know Your Power contest.
"Sink" Illustration by Skye Jones, 2022 visual art winner
Congratulations to the Winners of the 2023 Know Your Power Teen Arts Contest
We were overwhelmed by the amazing pieces that were submitted to the 2023 Know Your Power Teen Arts Contest. They were not only well-crafted but had a strong voice and perspective on a wide variety of subjects pertaining to civic engagement. The winners in the four categories Visual Art, Writing, Music and Photography received prizes that will help the winners continue to explore their creativity.
Submit Your Entry
Submissions for Know Your Power 2024 open May 28, 2024.
What are the Contest Rules?
- This contest is open to participants between the ages of 13 and 19.
- You can submit multiple entries in multiple categories.
- Writing can be up to 1,500 words long and be in the format of a poem or short story.
- Photography entries may include 1 - 10 photos that make up a photo story.
- Video entries can be up to 6 minutes long.
- Music should be submitted as an .mp3 and be 1 - 3 minutes in length.
- Your submission must be original work.
Attend a Know Your Power Event
2024 schedule of events to be added soon!