Consistent with the DC Public Library Policy for Naming Spaces & Programs and for Donor Recognition, the specific recognition of donors’ contributions will be done solely through placement on a donor wall and/or recognition in marketing and program materials. Donors’ contributions will not be recognized through the naming of library spaces. Those interested in making a donation should contact the DC Public Library Foundation at dcplfoundation.org.
The Board of Library Trustees approved the Library Space & Program Naming Policy on August 3, 2022. The following will provide guidance on the process the Library Executive Director (or designee) should follow to enact the policy. These guidelines do not apply to the naming of library buildings.
An individual may submit an nomination seeking to honor or recognize an individual, family, or a mission-aligned entity. All requests shall be submitted to the Executive Director (or designee) in writing.
Nominations may be submitted at any time. However, the Board of Library Trustees will consider names for approval twice a year during the May and November meetings.
While applicants can suggest specific spaces to be named, the Board of Library Trustees, after receiving the Executive Director’s recommendation, shall make the ultimate decision as to the appropriate space to be named.
All nominations must be submitted in writing via email to email@example.com.
Nominations will only be considered for individuals who have been deceased for at least two years. Nominations to honor family or mission-aligned entity have no such restriction.
The nomination must be supported by official documentation including, but not limited to:
- List of accomplishments, professional or volunteer;
- List of honors/awards, professional or volunteer; and
- Narrative as to why the individual, family, or mission-aligned entity should be honored.
The burden of supporting the nomination rests with the individual or group submitting the name.
Review and Approval Process
The review and approval process will be as follows:
- The Executive Director (or designee) reviews the submission, and if it is determined to meet all the criteria, the Director will submit the recommendation to the appropriate Board committee for initial review.
- The Board committee reviews the materials, and makes a recommendation as to whether the nomination should move forward.
- The Library will then solicit feedback from the public for a period of at least 30 days, which will include the opportunity for public comments at a Board of Library Trustees meeting. All feedback will be taken into consideration in reviewing the nomination, after which, the Board committee will make a final recommendation to the full Board.
- The Board of Library Trustees will vote on the nomination during a regularly scheduled meeting (May or November) and the decision will be reflected in the board minutes. Submissions received by June 1 will be considered at the November Board meeting; submissions received by October 1 will be considered at the May Board meeting.
Effective Date: September 14, 2022