The Adult Learning Department at DC Public Library has countless computer classes available to help grow your computer based skills. Explore Microsoft Office software, the Google suite, or even try your hand at basic design with Canva!
Computer Comfort Practice Series
Learn and practice very basic computer skills in this three-part series:
- The Mouse
- The Keyboard
- Going Online
If you are new to computers, this class is for you!
You will learn to:
- Identify basic computer components and operating system features.
- Execute basic mouse techniques.
- Perform basic keyboard strokes and functions.
- Identify and navigate the features of the desktop.
- Open and exit software programs.
- Identify and navigate the Windows environment of Microsoft software applications.
- Create and save a document to the desktop or to a flash drive.
Improve your typing and keyboarding skills while engaging self-paced, practice tutorials and custom lessons where you will do the following:
- Practice home-row key typing in self-paced exercises.
- Test your typing skills at various levels of proficiency and speed.
- Customize practice lessons to enhance your typing skill abilities.
Explore and navigate the Windows 10 operating system functions & features, including, but not limited to, the following:
- The new Start Menu
- The Windows 10 digital assistant, Cortana
- The new Quick Access feature in File Explorer
- Elected features of the Settings menu
Learn the basic terms and navigational skills associated with surfing and searching the Internet via the worldwide Web (www.). Identify, explore, and navigate the following Internet features:
- Basic elements and features of a Web browser environment, e.g. Chrome, Edge, etc.
- Navigate the Web using hyperlinks
- Explore the features and advantages of various search engines and directories
- Perform simple Web searches and explore various job search engines
- Copy and paste Web text and graphics to a Word document
Device Help (Techy Tuesdays)
Learn how to use the functions and features of your many devices:
- Cell phones (Android & Apple)
- Tablets (Android & Apple)
- Kindles, etc.
Bring your own devices.
Microsoft Office Suite
Learn the basic, intermediate, and advanced features of the following 2019 Microsoft Office Suite applications:
Learn how the following Google Suite environment and applications allow you to create and edit documents online while collaborating with other users in real-time in the same document environment:
- Google Drive
- Google Docs
- Google Slides
- Google Sheets
- Google Forms
Canva (Graphic Design Tool)
Step-up your graphic design game by engaging CANVA’s customized templates and creative editing features to elevate your business flyers, work and school projects, or your social media posts to the next level~!
Learn how to~
- Access the CANVA platform for the first time
- Search and personalize CANVA editor
- Upload and use photo tools
- Use creative editing elements, fonts and text
- Share and collaborate on Designs
- Save, download, and organize your projects
Web Page Design (HTML 5)
Learn to create a simple Web page using the HyperText Markup Language, version 5 (HTML 5) and the Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) tags.
Learn and explore the following:
- Notepad++ as the text editor
- Use the paragraph, table, media and other tags to populate your web page in creative ways
- Explore websites that teach you more about Web page design: