The Georgetown Neighborhood Library building, designed by municipal architect, Nathan C. Wyeth and opened in 1935, was severely damaged by a fire on April 30, 2007. As a result, the building underwent a $17.9 million renovation. Martinez & Johnson Architects, in partnership with Hoshide Williams, were hired to design the renovation of this historic building. The renovated and expanded building re-opened on Oct. 18, 2010.
The renovation restored this neighborhood treasure while adding many modern improvements including:
- Better lighting
- Dedicated space for teens
- Improved ADA access
- More space, including a new, larger Peabody Room, which houses a special collection of materials on the history of Georgetown
- A new outdoor reading terrace overlooking Book Hill Park
- A new bright, spacious children’s room with a special story time space
- Restored woodwork throughout the building
The old mezzanine level was removed, bringing in more light and opening up the first floor to views looking out onto Book Hill Park.
A new third floor now houses the Peabody Collection & Reading Room. Features include:
- Nearly twice as much space for the Peabody Collection
- A spacious reading room with north and south views
- Restored original wood reading tables and chairs, and glass storage cabinets
- Climate-controlled storage areas for the collection
The Georgetown Library features many environmentally-friendly elements and is designed to achieve LEED Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. The project has been recognized for historic restoration, receiving a Stewardship Award from the D.C. Office of Historic Preservation.
The address of the Georgetown Neighborhood Library is 3260 R St. NW