Adult Literacy Resource Center
The DC Public Library offers adult literacy services through the Adult Literacy Resource Center (ALRC). The ALRC provides literacy services to young adults (16 years +) and adults and is staffed with adult literacy education specialists.
We have instructional, informational and leisure reading materials for adult developing readers and speakers of other languages.We also provide resource materials for teachers and tutors of literacy, ABE, GED and English as a Second Language (ESL).
The Adult Literacy Resource Center is located in
Library Express at 1990 K St. NW, lower level (entrance on 20th St between K St. and I St.)
during the MLK Jr. Memorial Library's modernization.
For more info, please call 202-727-1616.
NOTE: The Adult Literacy Center no longer offers proctoring services.If you need to improve your reading, writing and math skills for the GED test, you can call our Literacy Helpline at 202-727-2431 for information about organizations that offer classes. You can also use our directory to find classes as well. Click here for our directory which lists GED and literacy classes.
- Find GED Classes, Basic Reading Classes, Tutors for Reading or English Classes
- Take a GED Skills Assessment
- GED and High School Skills Tutoring
- Study Online
- Speak English
- Schedule a Library Orientation
- Discuss Books
- View/Download "A Feel for Books, Book Discussions for Adult Developing Readers: A Resource Manual"
- Attend Teacher Training Workshops
- DCPL's Online Resources for Teachers